6,000 miles across Siberia


Advertisement
Russia's flag
Europe » Russia » Northwest » Moscow
June 26th 2006
Published: June 26th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Trans SiberiaTrans SiberiaTrans Siberia

Trans Siberia
To me the trans-siberia train always conjured up romantic and mysterious images, but in reality it was just me and Dawn on a train - albeit a Russian train for 6 nights and 5 days in a 6ft by 5ft cabin. The whole trip was really a journey of vast extremes. Everything from the very official and gruff Russian train guard who barked things like "what is your country" and "give me your passport" who suddenly became over come with boyish excitement when we gave him some British coins for his collection. The scenery was also an extreme - the extreme boredom of looking at nothing but birch trees for three days and then getting such a thrill to set eyes on a lone Mongolian Ger tent in the dusk with horses and goats tied up outside.

Our whole journey was centered around the station stops, I never through I would be so happy to stand on a train platform in remote siberia - but boy was it good to get off that train. Every town we arrived at I would say 'this is the back on beyond' only to travel another 300 miles and say the same thing again.
Trans TrainTrans TrainTrans Train

Trans Train
Train life was also centered around our plastic food containers, which had previously contained some soup that we bought in a Russian supermarket before departure. As our only utensils it became the bowl which we drank, ate and washed out of. While waiting at the Russian border for four hours I even thought about peeing it in!

Both Dawn and I became experts in using the small toilets on the train. It's amazing how you can go to the loo, brush your teeth and wash your face without touching anything or breathing.

Towards the end of the journey we began to wonder why we'd paid so much money to eat only noodles, not shower and share our cabin with random strangers. Having said all that it was certainly a great experience, but perhaps not one I'll be repeating.

Advertisement



26th June 2006

well were just having a ball!
well i have finally manged to get my rear in gear and read your blog! and all i can say its a good job GREEN is my colour!!! well i thought id let you know we just had our work ball with a diana ross impersonator, bit bland same old booze infested night, a bit of cheezy dancing and then the long journey home! however i do just want to say..the sales are now here so you might be jetting off round the world but at least we here are coming home with Mango and Zara bags Galore!!!! Alas i have no one to gush over the discounted price that i got them at!!!
26th June 2006

Hello!
Don't suppose they have a Nandos in deepest Siberia? Hope you are having a fun adventure. Love Michelle.x
29th June 2006

Nasty ticket men
Hiya, Enjoying reading your blog. By now I think you should be in Thailand. Should be nice food, better than russian broth! News from UK - Wales is not as good as Devon and Henman is out of Wimbledon already! Looking forward to hearing from you soon. Take care x

Tot: 0.115s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0514s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb