Ulaanbatar – Gateway to Mongolia


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
August 1st 2008
Published: August 1st 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ulaanbaatar (Red Hero) is the capital of Mongolia. It is located at 1351 meters above sea level & in the central region on the banks of the River Tuul. It has about 250 years of history. The first capital of Mongolia was Urguu which is located at the Da Khuree Monastery at Arkahngai aimag(province). Ulaanbaatar was established in 1639 as the centre of Buddism in Monoglia and home to Zanabazar - Head of Buddhism in Mongolia. The nomadic encampment shifted from place to place until 1778 when it settled in UB and later ruled by Bogd Khaan. In 1924, it was officially declared the official capital of Mongolia.

UB is a gateway to Mongolia. It has a population of over 1′000′000 and a surface area of 135′800 hectares. It currently contributes 40% of the gross Domestic product. The city is surrounded by Holy Mountains - Bogd Uul, Songino, Bayanzurkh, and Chingeltei mountains. The city is thus divided into 6 districts: Sukhbaatar, Chingeltei, Bayanzurkh, SonginoKhairkhain, Khaan Uul and Bayangol. Sukhbaatar district is the central for Government House, Cental Post Office, museums and hotels. UB contrast the aspect of present Mongolian society as well as the traditional nomadic culture. You may also find many Buddhist monasteries, temples, traditional gers and cultural places contrast between modern and socialist era old buildings. Besides that, there are many dining places and pubs popular for foreigners and tourists. UB has the only international airport in the country and the Tran-Siberian railway corssess Mongolia from north to south connecting Moscow and Beijing.

There are a number of museums, cinemas and theaters, art galleries and some shopping centres around UB. However, you can still find some street loitering kids and adults walking around UB. Some could be begging, sleeping along the street and trying to find some food/treasures in the dumpsite. I remember once I found children as young as 4 or 5 years old begging at night in the winter outside some pubs with the family. It is really sympathize seeing them. However, I did not give them any money even few approach by them. I think it is not a proper way to help them in such way. Giving money to them is just making them realized that “Begging” could be a career to these small children to earn a living in the future. This will also encourage the parent to make use of them to beg for life. I have also seen a family got two of their children into the big trash can to dig some rubbish whereas the parent standing ouside the trash can to search for food and valuables from the trash. It is really a pity to see such scene. Thus, I think we should help them through proper channel and not giving money to them on the street. Don’t u think so?

Some picture around UB in the Summer and Winter seasons.

Find out more in my travel blog : http://econaturetravel.com/mongolia-travel-blog/ulaanbatar-gateway-to-mongolia/


Advertisement



Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0472s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb