We're dreaming of a White Christmas


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
December 21st 2005
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

It's snowing, YAY!

After months of sub-zero dullness, Mongolia has finally lived up to its promise and is blanketed in white. Even better is the fact that the snow began as we were astride little Mongo horses, trotting (bouncing painfully) through the countryside on Sunday. This latest escape from the city had us riding said horses over countless frozen rivers... slightly unnerving for human and beast alike, but very cool!

Last night we farewelled our "friendly but a little daft" Irish buddy. She was mildly shocked and dismayed when we suggested that 6 large bags of check-in luggage and 3 carry on bags might stray slightly into the excess category. We await word of her success or otherwise in departing the country and doing it all again in China.

The snow (and school) continues. We discovered that we are expected to teach on both Christmas Eve and Boxing day but we have both come down with a mysterious disease this weekend. As we are the only teachers who have not, as yet, had a sick day/week/s we have decided they'll cope for a couple of days without us.

Our plans for Christmas are coming along nicely but we fear an international diplomatic crisis looms over what should be eaten for Christmas dinner and, indeed, when. We are going to Terelj, about 70 km from UB, with a sauerkraut-eating German - Luisa; a 'roast chicken, boiled veg and Yorkshire pudding'-loving Pom - Lucy; and a couple of Buddhist Mongolians - Moogii and Zulaa. Wish us luck. We plan to celebrate both European and Aussie Christmases in a soon-to-be tinsel-laden Mongolian ger.

Wherever you may be...
MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

For those of you in Oz, throw a shrimp on the barbie for us!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

100 Monk Cave100 Monk Cave
100 Monk Cave

100 monks sheltered here during the 1930 communist purges


Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 93; dbt: 0.0647s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb