Wild horses couldn't hold us back


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
December 13th 2005
Published: November 20th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Taking out the rubbishTaking out the rubbishTaking out the rubbish

A 40m round trip
As the temperature difference between here and home topped 80 degrees Celcius, we somewhat stupidly ventured into the Mongolian wilderness once again. We set off with little more than a sleeping bag between us, and with the slim and rather vague promise (from our friendly but daft Irish travelling companion) of shelter and sleeping gear.

The destination of choice for our much-needed weekend escape was Khustai National Park, only 2 hours out of the city, but a complete world away. This magical expanse (yet again, frozen and dusty) is home to the largest population of wild horses in the world - the takhi...the Down Syndrome equivalent of the horse species, with two extra chromosomes.

We encountered 2 takhi herds up quite close, got stared down by a stallion, almost got charged by a bull, and spotted a few of Santa's white-bummed reindeer warming up for their big night.

After a blissfully warm and comfortable night indoors, with beds, blankets and heating (the thought of sleeping in a ger in -40 degree nights was a little challenging), Sunday morning saw us predictably hiking for 3 hours up a mountain. Long before the windy summit, we all had icicles growing
Takhi HorsesTakhi HorsesTakhi Horses

Wild Mongo Horses
on our eyelashes, hats, scarves and facial hair. What little bare skin there was was frozen solid and in danger of permanent damage during the descent when the wind chill knocked another 20 degrees off the baltic conditions.

Having bonded with our travel buddies during our mountain hike through the crunchy snow we retired to a warm room, too tired even to crawl into the sauna. We spent the afternoon learning a Mongolian card game with Irish Christine, social workers Luisa and Moogii, volunteer English teacher Lucy and Zolaa, our friendly Mongo driver.

By the time we got back to UB we had a number of dinner dates planned and accomodation with Luisa teed up for Germany next year. Wasting no time, the first dinner was at our place last night. Mel put on a magnificent Korean spread with Aussie tunes building the ambience. On Thursday we are off to Luisa's to sample some gluevine(??) - hot, German, spiced, festive wine.

A few enticing Christmas plans are also forming along the way...we'll keep you informed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 16; qc: 96; dbt: 0.0585s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb