A Ruuski Romp


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
October 4th 2005
Published: November 19th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Things have been a'happening and the sun is shining.


Thursday, despite severe exhaustion, we hauled ourselves out to quiz night at Dave's place (the weeny English pub with decent Ale), to meet up with our knowledgable French friend Andre, who sports a magnificent bouffant and the gesticulations to match. We came first, or at least we would've if we'd known what year Bruce Lee was born. Our ineptitude for dates (John Lennon's birthyear...anyone?) also put us out of the running for lots of free beer. Bugger!


Probably just as well, as too much beer would've rendered us incapable of getting through the madness that was Friday....TEACHERS' DAY!!!! (Russian or International, we never quite worked out which, but either way, we fared well).


It all began as we headed up the steps into school and spotted a tiny and slightly manky puppy, also trying his darndest to make it inside to the warm school. We thought he belonged to one of the kids, but they were just having a goosey and moving along inside. Upon watching one girl pull him down a few stairs by the scraggly ribbon tied around his neck, we took pity, picked the poor shivering, trembling little thing up, and took him inside where he was subjected to more stress as students and staff ran at us, thrusting long-stem roses and chanting something we didn't understand...(there's more chanting to come!) NB. The chanting happened for all teachers, not just for us. We ain't that good!


Looking a little overwhelmed, we accepted our gifts and scurried upstairs to hide the puppy safely in Gareth's classroom.


Soon, we discovered that we didn't have to teach any of our 7 lessons that day, and were simply required to sit in the hall and partake in a few lessons (all in Russian) on "interesting biology", random games (winner takes a bottle of vodka) and Feng Shui (Oh yes, there's hippies in Russia too!) The it was the "Erel" School variety show...a fascinating concoction of Russian songs, Mongolian dancing, an egotistical Kenny G wannabe, a sleazy caberet performance by a moustachioed Russian porn star (ie. teacher) and his music teacher wife(?), CCTV footage of teachers posing as students and misbehaving, a truly good Year 5 choir performance (even with a song in English!), and our boss and 3 colleagues parading around to Swan Lake in tiny tutus.


Gareth was haunted by one song performed by the Year 5 choir, to the very same tune as his primary school song..."Valley View, You Are the Best".


And the pressies!!! We each got a cake sporting our name from our Year 11 classes (All is forgiven!), in addition to an armful of roses, chocolates, stationary and figurines.


Now, do you remember that puppy? Deciding that we couldn't leave him in the classroom all day, we skived off the morning's Russian biology class and taxied him home. After school, he received a much needed bath, but remained quite dusty.


But teachers' day was still far from over!!!! We met at a chinese restaurant big enough to accomoodate our staff of 70 and partied Russki-Mongo style...For those uninitiated with such a celebration, all it takes is some chanting, a bit of boisterous singalong, a few performances (our table managed a lame but multilingual "If you're happy and you know it" and they loved it!!!), almost constant all-in crazy cossack dancing, heaps of food and litres and litres of vodka. These overweight, middle-aged Russian women sure know how to party, and they're tough to keep up with!


Still wondering about the puppy? Okay, we're silly sentimental sops but we couldn't bear the thought of parting with him and have decided he can live with us. It's completely impractical in our little apartment, but he'll surely freeze to death if we set him loose again, and we couldn't live with ourselves. His name is Gobi, he's full of poo, wee, demonical night wailing and needle sharp teeth, but we love him. He's tiny, black and dusty white, and ever so cute. He's slightly paranoid, but fairly well behaved so far. Yes, it's nuts, and we know there'll be some disapproving tuts from home, but we'll let some photos (and video) speak for themselves.


Check out the "Real Russian Romp" vid, it's priceless


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

ScoreScore
Score

Pressies from Teachers Day


Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0196s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb