Maldives


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives
November 15th 2004
Published: November 15th 2004
Edit Blog Post

View from aboveView from aboveView from above

A small island I don't know which one
In a word, WOW!

This is paradise from start to finish. Even before we arrived looking out of the window was spectacular, the colours of the sky, ocean and the coral atolls were just calling out, "swim in me, swim in me, partake of my piscean goods".

We got picked up from the airport in an air conditioned speed boat that seemed more suited to high speed pursuit of game fish rather than ferrying passengers to Bandos Island about 15 minutes away.

The Maldives for those that don't know is around 1200 islands of varying size, of those about 200 are inhabited and around 80 of them are single island resorts. Bandos island where we were had about 300 rooms although the island was undergoing a renovation which meant around a third were closed.

The beach was about 10 meters away and was ringed with bushes that created loads of secluded areas with beach views, not that we needed them as the most amount of people we saw in one go was about 7 and that happened only once.

The beach was small where we were but that was more than made up with the house reef started only a few meters out so seeing fish while snorkling was as easy as it gets. I don't think i will ever forget the feeling when I first caught sight of the reef shark as it came out of the gloom behind me. Or the first time I saw a live turtle swimming up for air about 5 meters away.

We didn't do anything but laze, snorkle and eat. Perfect after a hectic tour of Sri Lanka.

The hotel was brilliant as it even let us stay the whole day free of charge as our plane back to Colombo was at 1 in the morning.

Incredible! The four days we were there went by so fast so we will have to return one day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Me after another snorkleMe after another snorkle
Me after another snorkle

Sharks and turtles are brilliant. One is without doubt scarier than the other.
A busy beachA busy beach
A busy beach

Too crowded today, we will have to move.


16th November 2004

i'm not jealous, i love it here in rainy cold grey london... honest
22nd November 2004

It's a hard life
sounds amazing. i'm thoroughly jealous. The snorkling round here isn't half as good. All I've spotted under my desk are a load of cable worms and a couple of dave's feet. -jerry

Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0698s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb