Move over Thailand, hello Malaysia!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
August 2nd 2006
Published: August 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

Taxi for Hindell!Taxi for Hindell!Taxi for Hindell!

There's no main roads on Tioman. The only way to get around is by boat!
Well it's been a very long time since our last update! We've done so much and we'll try to keep it as short as possible!

After spending 3 glorious weeks on the beautiful Thai islands we headed down to Singapore to spend a week with friends. We had a fantastic time checking out the sights, experiencing the ex-pat way of life and re-introducing our selves to the bar scene! We found time for the mandatory Singapore Sling in Raffles, a tree top walk in the jungle, a night safari at the zoo and spending money we don't have at the big shopping centres down the Orchard Road! It was a great week and we can't wait to go back there for a few days before we jet of to Oz at the end of August.

From Singapore we headed to the Malaysian peninsular, starting with the island of Tioman off the S.E coast. The island was very rural and laid back with some fantastic scenery and interesting wildlife - monkeys swinging from the tree tops and 6ft monitor lizards just wandering around. We of course managed to get in a days SCUBA diving but didn't get to see any
English country pub?  No, this is Malaysia!English country pub?  No, this is Malaysia!English country pub? No, this is Malaysia!

This pub does pints and roast dinners!
sharks this time!

From Tioman we flew into KL, which we really enjoyed! We did the usual sights: The Menera Tower; the Petronas Towers; the Aquarium and of course more shopping! KL's a great place and would definately recommend it as part of a trip to Malaysia.

Leaving the city behind us we headed further north to the Cameron Highlands, which had a very English circa 1950's feel. Also, given it's height the climate was cooler, just like late spring in the UK, but sunny! There we managed to do some trekking in the jungle and grab a pint in Ye Olde Smokehouse Pub, where you can also get cream teas and roast dinners! We've attached a photo so you can see how English it looks - it was like a home from home!

We continued heading north to Georgetown on the island of Penanag. The town was very culturally diverse as we wandered between the colonial Fort Cornwallis, Little India and a sprawling Chinatown. After a couple of days we headed to the North of the island to the beach resort of Batu Ferringhi for Martin's birthday. We spoilt ourselves by checking into a plush hotel for a week. Needless to say, we didn't move far from our sunbeds and fully enjoyed the facilities! After a fantastic week we took a very nauseating 2.5 hour boat ride to the island of Langkawi - where we are now, enjoying another nice hotel for my Birthday. You'll all be pleased to hear that the weather is stormy today and slightly cooler than the UK - hopefully it'll only last a day!

Next week we head to Borneo.......


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Singapore sights - the DurianSingapore sights - the Durian
Singapore sights - the Durian

This building is affectionately known as the durian as it very much like the foul smelling durian fruit! It is however a very nice theatre!
Luna Bar - Kulua LumpurLuna Bar - Kulua Lumpur
Luna Bar - Kulua Lumpur

This amazing bar has floor to ceiling glass booths that hang over the edge of the building. You certainly need a couple of drinks for this one!
Emily's Birthday - LangkawiEmily's Birthday - Langkawi
Emily's Birthday - Langkawi

No don't worry, I'm not a Mrs!
Very rickey tree top walk, BorneoVery rickey tree top walk, Borneo
Very rickey tree top walk, Borneo

We won't be rushing back to do this in a hurry!


Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0334s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb