Part #10 KL2 The Knockout


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
June 3rd 2011
Published: July 14th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Part 10 – KL Part 2: Knockout & Jak the final encounter

I returned to Makassar after a wonderful trip to J-Town to see off my sister in style, and quite frankly it was perfectly timed, i was reaching breaking point in Makassar and needed to cut loose and relax with family. Success! Once i'd returned however Makassar was suddenly not the sweating heaving mass that it once had been. It was surprising how much the weather could change the place. It was still hot as hell, but in a dry way, and with a breeze. The place was beautiful, and i can say quite happily that every day that i've had the chance since then, i have gone for a drive on my moto just around exploring and enjoying wind in my hair, weaving in and out of the insane traffic at speeds my parents would no doubt kill me for, and feeling the sun bake down. However it was time for the visa run once again. I should point out that i had done a significant amount of work in the days i was back before running off to KL, in fact i had written all articles and held interviews with all of the projects i was researching. There was only one project left that didn't have time to interview so i had sent them questions via email, and would complete the final draft of my final article once i'd heard back from them. So with virtually all of my work completed, i went to the airport. My airasia flight wasn't nearly as interesting this time, but i arrived and headed straight to my favourite hostel. Went to my dorm and met some British travelers, 2 leaving the next day and a guy (Ben) and girl (Fiona) staying until monday when i was also leaving. Crashed out the first night and woke the next day, getting ready for a big day. Fiona and Ben had heard about a big festival on in town so we went off to check that out, only to discover that we'd missed it by quite a few hours. We then strolled Chinatown and did some mandatory shopping. Ben needed (for who knows quite what reason) 10+ shirts, belts and shorts, i needed a new wallet, and Fiona needed sunnies. Success all round. We had lunch in the Reggae bar, mostly because of Ben's incredible need for air conditioning, and it suited my craving for a cold beer. After lunch we strolled around doing some more shopping and there was bubble tea to be had by all.
We voted for a quick rest and rejuventaion back at the hostel. Both Ben and Fiona were finishing up their long trips abroad, and in the last month i had really started to feel a craving for home. I've done long trips before, and you always go through stages where you just get a bit over the whole traveling thing, and i was in one of those stages. There are times when it can feel a bit much to have to be alone, and you just want to spend your days with people who you've known for longer than a couple of days, and who you know will be the same tomorrow. So while i was counting down the days before getting on the flight home Fiona and Ben were dreading their respective flights home. After a long talk with both of them back at the hostel, it reminded me of just how amazing it is to be out here in the middle of a strange world, on your own, and yet feel so comfortable. To be able to instantly create bonds with people you've never met, or even people who don't share a similar language. Listening to their stories and sharing my own was incredibly therapeutic in coming to terms with my own feelings. While Sulawesi had been draining me in a lot of ways Indonesia had offered me so much. These two had been off exploring so many countries and having so many adventures, i'd forgotten that that was still open to me. My desk job and tiny apartment were temporary, and even then it was its own adventure. Well, enough of letting you read about my silly (and no doubt quite obvious) epiphany. Hearing Fiona & Ben wish that they had more time changed my perspective, and meeting them and having such a simple but good time reminded me that meeting people is often the best part about traveling, and i just needed to change that.
Anyway so chilling in our hostel amongst chats and story sharing there was some guitar playing, card tricks, and general merriment. Fiona then realised that as she would be spending the following night with family friends, that night was her last "proper" night as a traveler, and Ben and i decided that she needed to be sent off in style. We grabbed a few beers from the 7/11 and kept up the fun in our dorm (i apologise dearly to all of those who love music or had any respect for my taste in music for the following statement...) with Britney Spears' "till the world ends" playing repeatedly, and it would become somewhat of an anthem for the rest of the KL adventure. Soon after a German girl names Julie showed up in our dorm and was also heading home after a long trip, and within minutes she was ready for our night of fun! Ben disappeared briefly and returned with another British girl on her way home who would be flying home at 6am, but was still keen to join! So from there we went to dinner and decided a view of the petronus towers at night was mandatory. We managed to grab the last train to sky bar, which turned out to be incredibly expensive and less than pumping, but did have an amazing view of the towers. After a little while we moved on looking for somewhere else and came across a strange looking club, and thought why not. We danced to bands playing Black Eyed Peas covers, and Djs who liked the sound of their voices too much. But it was great fun. Eventually we talked our way up onto the glass platform that hung above the dance floor that was "closed tonight", and we boogied while the Malaysian crowd beneath questioned our sense of pride. When we all became a bit tired of that we decided to head back to the park under the petronus for one last look at the towers. Once there it didn't take long for us to jump into the kiddie pool and look up at the shining towers while splashing around. Honestly, the best view in Malaysia. We lay there for a fair while until some strange looking men came and told us to get out (Muslim countries don't seem too fond of swimming in the wee hours of the morning) and we made our way home.

The next day was more exploring, relaxing, humming/whistling na na na-na-na-na-na naa naaaaaaaaa (Britney's song) and just general calm. Eventually i made my way back to to the airport and readied myself for a lightning quick pass through Jakarta. As Jess had moved out of her apartment i ended up staying with Ruff-ruff, who reintroduced me to the world of video games... it's the little things after 8 months on the road... there was a last hang out with all the people i'll be missing: Jess, Ruff ruff, Slay-Dog. Sadly i did little to prepare for my visit and couldn't meet up with everyone, but it was a nice 2 days of saying farewell. Even managed to fit in some street food, sheesha, and a beer by ruff ruff's pool. Beautiful. Unfortunately i had lengthened my weekend out too much, and would need to be back at work the following day (a wednesday), which meant a 5am flight, which meant a 2am taxi and a 9am arrival for what would inevitably be a long day at work, followed by some tough badminton.

Makassar has followed through with its beautiful weather. The sun still shines down, no sign of rain or humidity. If only the bloody mosquitos would give it a rest!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.242s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb