Day 100-101: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia


Advertisement
Published: May 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday, May 6th


Did we mention that it's hot here? Well, hot isn't really the right word. Scorching is more like it. And the humidity! Phew! We're moving closer and closer to the equator and it's getting hotter and more humid with every kilometer. Even after 100 days in the tropical heat we're still not used to it. And we're from Africa... not exactly a cold place. We're starting to re-think our attitude toward air-cons. They might be man (and woman's) best friend after all (our apologies to dogs everywhere).

Kuala Lumpur (like all the cities in South-East Asia we've visited) is a strange mix of rich and poor living side-by-side. Unlike South Africa there's seemingly little crime or hatred between the classes. There are these super expensive hotels that stand right next to dilapidated ghetto dwellings. The alleyways, echoing with the eerie croaking of crows, are heaped high with trash and people scavenge amongst the bags while in the streets there's Mercedes and BMWs driving up and down. It's an alien landscape.

After breakfast we researched a few trips that we can do from KL, sorted out some banking and formed a strategy for the day while enjoying
Indian food!Indian food!Indian food!

Yummy yummy yummy!!!
delicious Indian food. Then we went to pick up a few things at the shops. Well, to be honest...We. Went. Ballistic!
Arghhh...Shopping fever! Arghhh....
No...Control...
Bank...Account...Crying...
Arghhh...So much fun!

No. Really.

We started at the camera store where we got the 18mm-200mm Sigma zoom lens for the Canon. Ferdi has been drooling over this kind of lens since getting that camera.
We also got the Olympus Stylus Tough 6000. We bought this nifty little camera because it's 3m waterproof as well as shockproof and will be indestructible once we get the dive-pack. Which brings us to the next item...
We went to a shop that imports dive-packs and ordered one for our new little toy. It will take 10 to 14 days to arrive so we changed our flight to Borneo to the 22nd.

Very chuffed with ourselves and buzzing with excitement, we decided to wander through a mall across the road. Since it's not hot enough already we got gloves, thick socks and beanies each. We also got a warm jacket for Talita. Nooo... We haven't completely lost our minds. This is the basic gear we'll need for climbing Mt Kinabalu in Borneo. She's 4095m high, the highest mountain between the Himalayas and New Guinea, and we've decided to add her summit to our list. After the climb we'll mail the cold weather gear to New Zealand, cause by the time we arrive there it will be winter there, so there's some method in the madness.

The shopping fever subsiding a little, we headed home to tally our expenses, jump up and down in excitement, then went back for more super-delicious Indian food.

Life is gooooood!

Today's highlights:
1. Sigma zoom lens for the Canon.
2. Olympus Stylus Tough 6000.
3. Ordering the dive-pack.
4. Getting the cold weather gear we needed.
5. Awesome Indian food.

Thursday, May 7th


We spent a lazy morning finalizing our new plans then went walking around the malls till lunch. The early afternoon was spent reading and at 17:30 we walked to the Menara tower. Completed in May 1996, the tower is 421m high, making it the fourth tallest telecommunications tower in the world. It takes 16 seconds for the elevator to reach the observation deck, 276m above the ground. We walked around and took pictures of the KL skyline. We were a little disappointed that the whole area is glassed in. We'd have liked to feel the wind in our hair (well Talita's hair), even if only for a little while.

After a while we went down again. Not much to do up there really. At the bottom near the entrance there's a surreal "Winter Wonderland". It so warm it feels like you're melting and here are these polystyrene "snow men" and stuff, with not a hint of snow anywhere. It was funny. Close by is an indoor animal park. At the entrance were two gorgeous parrots and three cockatiel. Inside was an awesome selection of reptiles. Dewald and Deirdré would have loved it! They had a huge variety of exotic snakes including some huge pythons, turtles, frogs and lizards. Also two raccoons, a few little monkeys and cutest of all, a possum lying flat on his back, legs in the air, pretending to be dead. It was hilarious! We wondered what he'd do if he needed to pee... mmmm... We couldn't take much photos cause it was too dark inside and you're not allowed to use a flash.
Just as we were leaving they went to feed one of the huge pythons. They threw in a live chicken. The clueless bird sat on the back of this massive beast, not realizing it was in mortal danger. The snake, however, had no interest in the clucking meal riding on its back. After a while they removed the chicken and put it with one of the smaller pythons where Clucky promptly met it's maker.

Having witnessed dinner being served we realized that we too needed some sustenance, so we headed to our new favorite restaurant "Nagasari Curry House". Talita is in love. After three months of vegetable fried rice and vegetable noodle, she now enjoys scrumptious meals twice daily. Mmmm...

Today's highlights:
1. Getting a cool view of KL from on high.
2. Indian food (yes, this will probably be a daily highlight while we're in KL).


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Kuala LumpurKuala Lumpur
Kuala Lumpur

An eagles-eye view
Winter WonderlandWinter Wonderland
Winter Wonderland

...but why?!?
So plat soos 'n padda...So plat soos 'n padda...
So plat soos 'n padda...

so that's where the Afrikaans saying comes from


8th May 2009

HEY KLIMMERKIES!
Awesome Awesome Awesome! Wat meer kan mens sĂȘ! Dis seker die laaste boodskappie wat ek vir so 3 weke gaan skryf, so moet my nou nie te veel mis nie! Julle fodies lyk great - baie mooi geneem, en julle klim outfits lyk awesome! Ek verstaan heeltemal die koop koop koop, nou dat ek begin goed kry het vir travel sal ek meer moet travel since i've got the gear! lol! Hugs Maatjies!!!

Tot: 0.066s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0247s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb