And We're Still Moving...


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
December 3rd 2005
Published: January 24th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Sitting our luxurious VIP bus with seats like you'd get on a business class flight, we spot another westerner wearing a T-shirt saying

To The Pub

, we get into conversation at the Singapore/Malaysia Border......... HE’S AN ESSEX BOY!!!! Down the A12, Chelmsford boy - mind you quite posh!

David was with us from that moment until we went our separate ways as we entered Thailand after a week in Malaysia.

The bus from SNG to KL took 6hrs, so we arrive in KL just after 10pm. We got dropped off on the side of a main road by a building site, traffic jam in front of us, not really knowing where we were. A cab driver spots us and what he thinks will be an easy fare, we get charged 20SGD to be driven around the corner to the first hostel, we say first hostel, we must of tried at least 10, all of which were full, if not by people then by cockroaches!!! We ended up after at least an hour with the cabbie driving round in circles, we opt for Tang City Hotel, nice, clean, proper toilet, hot & cold water, and air-con - perfect, right by the night market and quite near the bus station. How ever not that cheap 90SGD (around a 10GBP each).

We went to the Reggae Bar that night for some food and a few drinks. Planned to go up the Peronas Towers the following day but over slept, got up at 12, didn’t get there till 1.30pm and all the complimentary tickets had gone by 9.30am and it’s not possible to purchase them, so we just admired them form outside. We thought we’d been really sly at one point by sneaking past staff at the entrance only to find that we’d gone though to the exhibition center, which was free to enter anyway!!

As we didn’t get to go on the walkway of the towers we decided to go to the Mandarin Oriental Hotel, go up to the top floor and take in the view of KL. We got into the lift and pressed floor 24 but nothing happened, a member a staff got in and luckily hit the button for the 24th floor. It was an exclusive suite, only for club members, but David our new mate, tried to blag his way in - needless to say we were asked to leave, but we did get to see KL from a height, and we checked out the pool!!!

We left there and walked around the cities park, which included a huge children’s playground & a pool that went out into a manmade lake. After a walk around the shops we attempted to get the train back, but after seeing approx 500 people waiting to buy a ticket we decided to take a cab to KLCC (Central Station), where we were finding out about our onward journey.

Upon leaving there we decided as we were only one station away we’d walk back to our hostel (The Backpackers Travellers Inn), however we didn’t realise we’d be walking back along the Motorway.

Went out that night for a meal and while eating the heavens opened, it was a nice feeling though, cooled it right down. Next morning we were up early to catch the bus to the Cameron Highlands, all of us slightly ratty having been kept awake by a hole in the hostel roof, sounded like somebody was next door to us having a shower, 2 of us actually got up to check. It wasn’t until we walked to the bus station that morning that we realised how close we had been dropped off on our first night when the cabbie had charged us 20SGD.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.102s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb