Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
August 23rd 2008
Published: August 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

A week is probably not enough time to see a country like Malaysia. Really mixed country in terms of culture and religion. I had 4 stops over 7 days-

First stop after crossing the boarder was Georgetown, Penang. One of the streets near where we stayed, Jalan Mesjid Kapitan Keling, is also known as Harmony street. It has a mosque, a Chinese Buddhist temple, and an Anglican church, and there is Hindu temple not far away. And they're all old and have heaps of history. Tis pretty amazing. Everyone seems to get own with there own religion and not worry about the others. Although i was only in the city for a couple of days- probably not enough time to properly tell. We went and watched some free Chinese opera in the evening. It was err... interesting. I think if the sound quality had been better, or at least not so loud, it might have been more pleasant. It was an experience anyway.

Next stop was Cameron highlands. It was comfortable and cool. They grow lots of things here including tea and strawberries (you can even go "self plucking" if you want). We arrived about midday and decided after spending the morning on a bus a gentle walk through the rain forest would be a could idea. We found a map and headed off. Was a bit steeper then we had realised. And longer. And the map (or our map reading skills) wasn't as good as we thought. And then it started to rain, and thunder. At the point that it started to get dark and we realised the closest thing we had to a to a tourch was one lighter (for the leeches) we decided to back track rather then finish the loop walk. Got out before it was dark so we were happy although a little exhausted. only had energy to sit and watch the sex and the city movie at the guest house that night. Went for a bit of a tour round the next morning. Went to a tea plantation and factory, saw strawberry farms, and held some creepy bugs and small animals at a "butterfly farm". I think they just call it a butterfly farm to attract tourists. If they called it a scorpion farm I don't think they would get as many visitors. I tried Durian. It got some that had already been cut so the smell wasn't over powering (but still wasn't very nice). It tasted a bit like onion flavored avocado. Tasty.

Went on the Kuala Lumpur. Big city. Stayed in China town. Best place to buy genuine fakes. All of a sudden i wanted a rip-off designer handbag. Convinced myself out of it. I don't need to be carrying more things...

Last stop for Malaysia was Melaka. Rode a trishaw. Explored a bit. Malaysia seems to be full of shopping malls which i've been trying to avoid. Gave in in Melaka and enjoyed the air con and massage chair demos... (theres heaps of them)

I haven't said anything about food yet and it probably deserves a mention. Food on the whole is really good. Really tasty and cheap. Loved pad thai in Thailand (not very original of me). You can get it on the street for 25 baht (about NZ$1) or a couple of dollars in restaurants. Its generally easier to not eat meat here although ive ended up with chicken and sea food after asking for "no meat". Theres some really odd food too.. Chicken floss?

I'm currently working out staying a little longer and going to Cambodia. I'd really love to go to Laos as well but i'm not sure if i'll get time. If anyone is interested i've found out where i'm placed in Vietnam.... Tam Ky. I don't know much about it. It is in the Quang Nam province, in 70km south of Da Nang and has a population of about 100,000 and doesn't get a lot of tourists.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

Tea PlantationTea Plantation
Tea Plantation

(We're being tea pots...)
DurianDurian
Durian

mm... its like onion flavored avocado only worse
At the mallAt the mall
At the mall

Air con and massage chairs...


Tot: 0.145s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb