Malacca


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur
September 25th 2013
Published: October 2nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 3.12433, 101.684

Another early morning start, this time to go to Malacca. It was a bit more organised this time and we were the first group off.

It took us about 2 hours to get to Malacca. I spent most of the time sleeping! The first stop we did was at the Catholic church, called St Paul's church. It was the oldest church in Malacca, built in 1710. Looking at it, it is still impressive that it had survived more than 2.5 centuries. Inside was still old and you could feel that old, ancient feeling inside though of course, some parts have been modernised like electricity. We spent about 5 to 10 minutes before moving on to the next stop.

Our next stop was a Chinese temple, which I think was called Sam Po Kong temple. It was a typical temple but next to it was a wishing well. Again we spent about 5 minutes before moving on.

The third stop before lunch was the Portuguese Square. This was on the coast near the Malacca Strait. Even the hotel was called the Hotel Lisbon. We couldn't see past the horizon but if you went straight, you would end up in Sumatra.

Lunch was included
Frontyard of St Paul's churchFrontyard of St Paul's churchFrontyard of St Paul's church

Depicts the time that Jesus asked Peter to walk on water
at a local Chinese restaurant and we had fried rice, squid, beef, chicken and an omelette. It wasn't too bad and kept us full for the rest of the day.

Our next stop was at Fort A Famosa. It is one of the oldest surviving European remains in Asia. Most of it is destroyed but the gate still survives. Once through the gates, there was a steep climb up the hill where there was a good view of the town of Malacca and the sea. It was a bit hazy but we could still see quite a fair bit.

We kept walking to an Anglican church, the Christ Church, constructed in 1753, not too impressive except for the red facade.

After having a quick look around the Anglican church, we went to Jonker St. This street was lined up with restaurants and souvenir shops. We bought quite a few stuff there, especially food. Hopefully they won't be thrown away when we get home!

The walk itself took 90 minutes but because we were so busy taking photos, learning a bit about Malacca and buying things, that it didn't feel like 90.

After the Jonker St walk, it was time to head home and it was another 2-3 hours back to our hotel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0672s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb