another day in Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Published: November 11th 2011
Edit Blog Post

A trip up the KL tower went well - there was good views with relatively clear weather - another surprise - pay child prices as we are now 'older' citizens.
There are pictures at each viewing point to highlight the key areas/sights but they also show the speed of development in this city - tower blocks are being built in every space.
We tried to go up the Petronas Tower but it is closed until December.
As part of the sightseeing in KL we went to Petaling street to see what bargains could be had - decided we are not good hagglers - it seemed too much trouble and with no reference point we ended up buying nothing. While the city tries to give some sembalance of standards it seems to be very much a veneer - best example - on the taxi's there is a sign saying that meters are used therefore no haggling. When we got in a taxi and asked to go to Petronas Tower the driver asked how much did we pay last time - so much for the meter - haggling I can do without - just asked him to put the meter on - ended up paying 6 RM (about £1.20p) so maybe I would have saved 20p if I had haggled. When we were at the Petronas Tower shopping Mall it started raining very heavy - so we decided to get a taxi to the Hotel (about 5 minutes walk) ended up paying 16 RM (about £3.20p) due to heavy traffic - so hard to compare prices.
We are looking forward to seeing New Zealand and get away from the city living and constant hassle and haggling.
Taxi for airport arrive at 5:55 in the morning and we get to Auckland for midnight NZ time, seems to be constant catch up on jet lag.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb