Batu Caves and Merdeka Square


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Wilayah Persekutuan » Kuala Lumpur » China Town
November 28th 2012
Published: November 28th 2012
Edit Blog Post

So last night Millad and the Philipino lad moved back into the dorm.

This morning after breakfast I took the Komuter to Batu Caves.

I think i said in my previous post but it is a limestonehill, which has a number of cavesand temples. It is located around 13 kilometres north of KL. Its name is taken from the Sungai Batu or Batu River, which flows past the hill.

Rising almost 100m above the ground, the Caves consist of three main caves and a few smaller ones. The biggest, referred to as Cathedral Cave or Temple Cave, has a very high ceiling and features ornate Hindu shrines. To reach it, you climb a steep flight of 272 steps.

The stairway to the caves are over-run by monkeys, which visitors feed, sometimes involuntarily!!

In this heat it was a hard hike up the 272 steps, and an anxious one too with all the monkeys.

After the caves I went to Merdeka Square (dataran Merdeka). It is the ground where Malaysia gained its independence in 1957. Below the open field is the Exchnage Traded Centre. Opposite the main square is the Sultan Abdul samad building - This was originally contructed to house the secretariat offices of selangor.

I also went to the KL city gallery, which is located within a heritgae building over 114 years old. The gallery showcases the history of Dataran Merdeka and the devlopment of the city.

I intend to go back this evening when the whole square is supposed to be lit with small lights.

I have had lunch, an indian potato curry puff from within the central market. The central market was built in 1888 and designed to be a wet market for the traders and tin miners. Now a variety of goods are sold here from food to handicrafts and batiks.

Love to all xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 124, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.131s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0882s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb