Darwin, Singapore, KL and Perhinthians


Advertisement
Published: May 30th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Well- Catch up time!

After busy Bali, I landed in the Northern territory of Darwin, Australia. I had arranged a couchsurfing place to stay, but my flight got in at 4am! Prepared to sleep in the airport until a more reasonable hour to contact my host, I was ecstatic to find him there waiting for me! AMAZING. So after the best meal of street food Satay shown to me by Bali dwellers from Java, a lift to the airport from an expat from Ireland, and a couple of hours sleep on the plane (I had 3 seats to myself!) I was swiftly transported to my own room and a double bed! The next day we went on a picnic and drive to Litchfield National park and saw waterfalls and rock pools! I then had a week of domesticity in the fenced, swimmingpooled suburbs, of weird tropical Darwin. I went to a random's dad's farm and saw his animals- Snakes, crocs, emy, goats... etc. Went out dancing, art gallery, sunset market, watched films and read. When the time came for me to leave and be reunited with Mhairi at the airport, I was a bit disoriented (I was out with Irish people the night before). So- turn up at the airport, in due time ( 2hours before) and Jet Star, have overbooked the flight by 20 people. I have to fly the next day. Mhairi is checked in and waiting at the gate! So- I stay (all expenses paid) in the airport RESORT, have a nice romantic Kangaroo and Crocodile ravioli with myself and lay by the pool the next day.

SINGAPORE- So, i get there 24 hours later than Mhairi. She has gone to my ex colleagues friend's place on River Valley and had a day sightseeing. REALLY liked Singapore. We went the the art gallery, had half boiled egg and coconut spread on sweet bread and coffee. Walked around and drank at the best rooftop spots and views of the city. Walked through the parks, Little India, went to a temple for Buddah's Birthday and went to the museum and cheap vegetarian food in the basement of the Tooth and Relic Museum. After the expense and banality of Australian food, Asia was a treat! Spicy fish soups were a fave! We met up with a local Singaporean and went to Pualu Ubin? Which is East of Singapore (very small country and Island- but not as small as Monte Carlo- is this a country?). We rented bikes and went to a artists shed/ hut/ hang out. We also snuck into a quarry lake (owned by the university) and had a swim in the CRAZY deep and clear water. Mhairi met friends from Darwin and I went to meet a friend of a friend from London. 1- Altitude, 71 floors up the TALLEST rooftop bar in the world! Nice. We then went dancing at famous Zouk and ended the night with garlic and honey prata at 4.30am in a very busy restaurant! We went to the top of Marina Bay Sans (and the casino with free Milo!) and New Asia bar for other amazing views. Also on top of the durian (fruit) inspired Esponade? Theatre complex and Fullerton Bay hotel. While in Singapore we also befriended the manager and staff of an Italian restaurant on Boat Quay. Very nice espresso and pizza and good tips about local life. Quick mince around the shops then a massaging coach to KL, with a bag of take away prata and curry!

KL- So the journey into Malaysia began with a thunderstorm, and a weird boarder crossing process which we were unsure about. We were then a few hours and some snacks later in busy, dirtier Kuala Lumpar. Here we couchsurfed with a guy from Mumbai who lived on the 25th floor of an apartment block nicely positioned with views of the Patronus towers and the sky tower? We experienced a bit of the nightlife, street food, sightseeing , rooftop bars (of course) park life and 1- Malaysia festivities. Also a big thunderstorm while high up supping coffee... Very nice ginger grilled fish. Then first overnight bus to the BEACH.

The bus was FREEZING. Then we got accosted at the port and got a ferry across to long beach. Hunted down the cheapest, tin roofed beach hut with outside toilet and chilled. It was too hot for the sun and I (embaressingly) got a bit burned in the SHADE. Ridiculous. I was perspiring profusely the whole time out of every pore on my body! Had a great BBQ on coral bay of Kingfish and spicy sauce. Went snorkling and saw a huge turtle. Also went to Monkey bar and danced on stage with the live guitarist. Then time for the arduous journey back to KL.

Cold, stop off at 2 am. Woken suddenly at 5.30am, slept in the bus station, got the train to the other bus station, mootched around met up with a friend from the Gili Islands, Lombok. Went for great Indian food on banana leaf and eaten with hands, then bus to the airport, and short flight to Phuket!

Found Lucinda Lu in her hotel last night and I am annoyingly awake super early (hunger woke me). Bought a big bunch of going off bananas for 10 Baht (20pence maybe?). Phi Phi today. Whoop whoop. More Island time.

p.s. I think the chair i am sitting on is infested with bugs. Ewe.














Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb