Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Bukit Peninsula
May 3rd 2011
Published: May 3rd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sun, sea, sand. young coconut. Delightful.

Unfortunately I also have a cut foot and grazed chin from falling off a scooter (very minor, pathetic attempt to turn on the road and have now taken the back seat).

Bali was a bit of an impulsive and opportunistic decision, and so after borrowing a lonely planet from someone siting next to me on the plane, i heading for the cheap backpacker areas of Poppies lanes in Kuta. Crazy busy, hawkers everywhere, dirty beach and BUSY nightlife. I then went on a 48 hour trip around the island, driving up the n\the mountains and north, into lake filled volcanoes, getting stuck going up a STEEP hill in the rain and having to be helped out by half a dozen local guys, lifting the back of our 8 person VAN in the darkness. Funny though. I also had some encounters with monkeys.

I went to Sanur, which is a quieter beachside family type place, lay on the beach outside a fancy resort, indulged in a massage and candle lit bath time (also had tv with national geographic). I then sat up front of the small fast boat to Gili Islands (Lombok). Met some cool English people and stayed on the Northern end which was alot quieter. Snorkeling, breakfast on the beach... Amazing. Also climbed the hill a few times. Eventful, evidently! Went for two nights to quieter Gili Air, had a little family vibe going on, cooked our own food then grilled local fish. Fast boat back to Ubud last Saturday- met someone who;'s been living there for 6 months, so went to a band playing in a uber cool art gallery with very spiritual and "ubud" people. I did some meditative yoga and it changed my life! Was so good, a seriously unexpected chilled sense of calm. I am now back on the beach, where all the surfers hang out. Saw a nice art exhibit and had seafood on the bach yesterday. I am also staying in an amazing place which overlooks the whole bay, great sunset and sound of the waves all night.

Looking forward to meeting back up with Mhairi very soon, and to begin the SE Asia adventure home.

Reading PERFUME and would highly recommend it to all.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.09s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb