Memoirs of a Divemaster Trainee


Advertisement
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Perhentian Kecil
May 1st 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

I wake, sprawled out, tired, where was I last night? - out partying again? I extract myself from the tangle of sarong, pillow and mosquito net that my bed has become during the night. My wooden beach hut, now my home, an upgrade from the shed in the jungle where the mosquitoes won the nightly battle for territory. I open the door look out across the kilometer long beach, through the coconut palms,... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Scene from my snorkel testScene from my snorkel test
Scene from my snorkel test

Let the humiliation begin...
DanfishDanfish
Danfish

Sunlight Divers....
SunnyfishSunnyfish
Sunnyfish

Sunlight Divers....
AlifishAlifish
Alifish

Sunlight Divers....
Scene from the stress testScene from the stress test
Scene from the stress test

Andy about to give me a good slap...
Scene from the stress testScene from the stress test
Scene from the stress test

Sneaky tank strap release from Steve...



4th August 2006

Well it is a small world ...
.. but not quite small enough. I'm sure we could have raised our couply game for one night. Sorry to have missed you. Great pictures, particularly the underwater ones. For the record the rubber o-ring in my camera case got stuck one due to the paint dye during the Holi festival in India - when I came to get it off it stretched, and I had no replacement :-(
4th August 2006

nice pics!
i'm glad you liked perhentian islands. as a malaysian, i haven't even been there myself!instead, i was up at ko phagan instead. shame huh. must make it to perhentian or sipadan one day. meanwhile, congratulations for making the divemaster title. how much does sunlight charge for beginners in scuba?-ying
8th August 2006

congrats!
Congratulations man! Now that you are a certified divemaster, you buggered off to Europe! How about bringing us up to speed here. I know I'm not the only one wondering what the "heck" you are up to. I have an idea, but won't say it here!! By the way, who is this Tim guy? He likes sucking up on certain blogs with his comments. Keep on travelling and taking super photos. Probably one of these days our paths will cross, as I'm all over the place too. Take care man.
15th August 2006

Great article Ali, and great pics! Come back, Moonlight isn't the same without you!
25th August 2006

Liking the video.
Hey bro - nice video. Makes me wanna learn to dive. Might stick with improving my swimming first though... Plus - taken to putting your music on the site as well now... no singing though. Wonder why? Hahaha.
25th August 2006

Just noticed.
Is that a Hitler Beard you are sporting in the Ali-fish photo? I'm in peak piss-taking form tonight.
12th September 2006

Matt...
Hitler didn't have a beard. It was a moustache... and you're studying history at university?
15th September 2006

Travelling nostalgia..
Hi Ali! Raining morning here in Montreal, Im "travellingsick" if I can say that instead of "homesick".. I open my laptop, when on travelblog.. The images of the children's smile and the peacefulness this day, in Sihanoukville, when we were singing and you were playing guitar.. So I went on your blog to see if you added some news, and I read your writtings! Im happy to have some pics in my head of what you have done in the last few months. Nostalgia fill my whole body and my soul today.. I miss travelling.. so much.. the most beautiful gift I did to myself in my life. And now, I can enjoying to live my travel again when I go read my blog, something that I do every 2 weeks maybe.. and I feel so good.. I feel like I live those moments again and again. Thank you to have created this site, because without meeting you, we would have never made a blog.. which is something that now, I enjoy more than ever..! Thank you, xx Kisses , Joanie (Montreal)
21st September 2006

Just look at the World around you... right here on the ocean floor...
... such wonderful things around you. What more is you looking for? Oh The Little Mermaid. It says it all. I saw a pic from your blog on the main page and then when I saw your name, I had to check it out. I actually JUST got my open water certification last weekend in Utila. Like you, I also figured "why not if it's the cheapest place!?" I am SOOO glad I did it. I am still in awe of it all days later. The DMT training sounds pretty intense... not sure that I could do it. My DMT told me I was a natural though and that she can see me doing it. It's definately a new interest of mine, that's for sure. Your stress test sounds hard though. Just not quite ready for that yet I suppose, although only having 4 dives under my belt may have something to do with that. Anyways, just wanted to say CONGRATS on becoming a Dive Master. I know it's a lot of work and not everyone can appreciate the amazingness that is diving. For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who don't, no explanation will ever be enough.
15th January 2007

Caranx sexfasciatus! Caranx ignobilis! Ali, that video is making me pine from my landlocked world. Perhentians was a beautiful place to be but Sipidan!! I got so close, yet so far, another tragic story. (Ex) girlfriends can be so...
15th March 2007

Long time pal
Hey man, its almost been a year now, how is everything buddy? i have tried e-mailing you and the other sunlight guys but i have received no replies. Just finished my dissertation on crown of thorns(Finally) and i will be travelling in dec hopefully heading back out to asia but for a much longer time. I hope ur ok man and you are still keeping up the good work me and shark taught you back on Kecil. Take care matey Pikey and Shark (andy and rich)
21st October 2010
Scene from my snorkel test

This blog will be getting plently of hits, because Lydia keeps asking me to show her this photo. She keeps sniggering and saying you look like an idiot in that bikini. I dont like her using the word idiot about people, so I have to come up with one with more positive conotations. ;)
21st June 2011

I'm here
That's just a big, interesting coincidence! I look on google.com for "stress test" and I find, exactly what I am experiencing at this very same moment, as a DMT at Perhentian Islands, Malaysia! We just did our stress test today. It was great fun, just nice, the instructor thrown some complicated problems while me and buddy struggled with the equipment. Haha. Anyway we will be finishing out training real soon... By the way, nice to meet you, really nice to find somebody who has been here, axactly doing what I'm doing at this moment. I'm working at Perhentian Besar though, at Alu-Alu Divers. Regards. Cheers!
19th February 2012
Dawn on Long Beach

Magnificent colours
A truly beautiful photograph.

Tot: 0.255s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 35; qc: 118; dbt: 0.1373s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb