Kuala Terengganu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Terengganu » Kuala Terengganu
July 2nd 2008
Published: July 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Surprisingly our Air Asia flight from KL was actually on time so we arrived in Kuala Terengganu at about 4pm. We intended on spending about 3 days in KT, however on the drive to our hotel we were already planning our escape. It was just a town, nothing particularly interesting to see or do. We ended up spending about 1.5 days there not doing a whole lot although we did go for a walk around the city to see the Sultan's Palace, a mosque, the foreshore etc.

The Sultan's Palace wasn't particularly impressive. The building itself was alright, however he had no garden really...perhaps he should stop spending so much on the state and maybe splurge on himself...hmm. The Malaysian government is actually quite interesting. Most states have a sultan, and the sultans take turns (in 4 year rotations) to be head sultan (king) of the whole of Malaysia. The current king is the sultan of Terengganu (it was his palace that needed landscaping hehe). While he is off being the king his son is standing in as the sultan of Terengganu...his son is 10 years old.

On the second day (our fist full day) we headed off to China Town which was probably the most interesting part of town. The buildings were quite attractive which was a nice change from the concrete boxes which seem to cover the rest of Malaysia. There was an awesome signpost which had a sign pointing to each of the 7 wonders of the world and the Petrona's Towers in KL. Kind of cool.

After China town we continued walking around the city because it was such a nice day...then all of a sudden out of no where there was the most massive clash of thunder I've ever heard which caught both of us by surprise and made us jump...I also drew blood on scotts wrist when i grabbed it...oops hehe. We quickly made our way back to our hotel because we assumed it would start bucketing down with rain pretty soon. Unfortunately the rain only began once we had decided that it wasn't coming and started walking to the ATM so we had to make a stop at the local Macca's for a cornetto sundae...yummy!

The next day we got up early and caught the 6:45am bus to Kuala Besut - the jumping off point for the Perhentian Islands.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement

Cool signpostCool signpost
Cool signpost

Each of the signs points to one of the 7 wonders of the world (plus the Petrona's Towers in KL)
Zanial Abidin MosqueZanial Abidin Mosque
Zanial Abidin Mosque

With the stormy sky in thge background


Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 30; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb