Welcome to the Jungle!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sarawak
January 25th 2007
Published: January 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Well, its been a long time since we last wrote and tons has happened. Much too much to write about, but we'll hit the highlights. The good news is we have our backpacks ... yes, both of them ... it was an ordeal getting them but they are safe and sound as are we all in the group.

We spent a day touring Kuching, mainly shopping, but the highlight was all four of us getting full body, one hour massages for equivalent to $40 Canadian (for all of us!). Jon was a little worried coming out of his massage because he got a little rub down to increase his "staying power" by a 100-pound blind, male. It didn't seem weird at the time it was happening until he found out that Mike didn't get the same special treatment. Yes folks, Jon was violated while in Kuching getting a massage! But to top it off, the ladies, who were in another room at the time were getting some of their own excitement when they removed their pants to reveal their undergarments. One of the supposedly blind men didn't seem so blind after all and was quite delighted, causing a lot of commotion!

Shopping was incredible and we sent a couple of packages home from the post office the next morning, one of which may arrive before we even get home (so heads up Crystal if you get a phone call about it), the other of which should arrive there some time before next Christmas ... LOL!

Many other happenings in Kuching that day including Mike and Jon drinking with the locals who were all singing karoke songs, none of which were from the past two decades, and in at least three different languages that they could pick up.

So, we have just arrived back in Kuching after a two-night stay in Bako National Park, one of the most gorgeous places we have EVER been! After experiencing a boat ride of our lives there in torrential rain, we arrived to check into the house we rented for two nights for a mere $100 Canadian for the four of us ... yes, everything really is cheap here! The food was incredible, too, despite the fact that they have to haul it by boat and there is only one place to eat.

The rainforest walk that we did was about 5 hours long, but at the end of it the sun was shining and we had passed through about 5 different zones, all that had their own unique vegetation and characteristics. There is a plant called pitcher plants that trap and consume insects in them. We'll add pictures to the blog at a later date for sure.

Other highlights of Bako include eating with the naughty macaques and silver leaf monkies that could always be found close to the canteen or swinging through the trees not far from shore. Seeing the rare probiscus monkies was amazing as well as Borneo is the only place in the world that you can see them in their natural habitat (they are the monkies with very big noses ... well, the males any way). Jon went on a night walk with some others and saw many other creatures including a venomous green snake of some sort, large spiders, treefrogs, fireflies that lit up a tree like it was decorated in small flashing white lights, and many other creatures of the night.

But the two highlights of Bako hands down were skinny dipping at a secluded beach off the jungle path (Tara, Laura will describe Mike's body to you in full detail at a later date). It was incredible that no one was at this beach that we had spent many hours on and watched monkies right from shore swinging through the trees. Searching for seashells, crabs, mudskippers, and other aquatic life that reveals itself primarily when tide goes out for the day was amazing! The quicksand that Jon and Mike stumbled upon was not so amazing as they fell in up to their knees.

The second highlight and by far the most exciting happening so far was the attack of Big Balls (his characteristics earned him his name), a very mischievious macaque that decided to pay us a visit at our humble abode one afternoon after skinny dipping and trekking. Big Balls sauntered up the house path like he was the tax collector when one of the girls exclaimed, "We have company!" Jon and Mike peered over the railing and were greeted with a toothful grin by Big Balls before he leapt up onto the railing in a single leap making the girls scream and run into the house in opposite directions, leaving Jon wielding an umbrella like it was a sword of some sort trying to fend off the monkey and Mike trying to take photos of the craziness that was unfolding. Big Balls was hardly intimidated by the reactions of Mike and Jon and decided to grab whatever he could off the table. Big Balls grabbed Joyce's water bottle and was about to make off like a bandit when out of nowhere Joyce came flying out of the room she had been hiding out in screaming like a banshee, startrling Big Balls who got the water bottle hung up on the wood railing before jumping down to the ground. So, the action seemed over ... or so everyone thought ... but Big Balls wanted to take another round out of the gents as Mike laughed and said, "Don't come back here no more Big Balls". And with that, Big Balls leapt to the railing again and this time cornered Mike who was trying to take a picture of the toothy, threatening grin that Big Balls displayed. Mary Poppins (Jon) charged with the open umbrella once more, but Big Balls was not amused and jumped around Mike and back onto the table again. Ahhh, but this time, the girls, before heading back to the safety of the bedroom and kitchen had cleared everything off the tables, so there was nothing for Big Balls to grab. Seemingly disinterested in the lack of booty to make off with, Big Balls jumped down to the ground again and left as quickly as he came. Minutes later, numerous other monkies started surrounding the house, which had us a little concerned, but these ones all came in peace. Luckily, no one was scratched or bitten, but the concern was there; although Mike and Jon both agreed that Big Balls was all show and no go with his teethy grin ... yeah, pretty tuff with their umbrellas and cell phone camera!

So, we are here in Kuching for another night before travelling along the costline for a 4-hour boat ride to Sibu, where we will travel further inland along the Redang River to a secluded longhouse, at least, that is the plan! And plans have been known to change already here as we have all acclimatized to the relaxing atmosphere of Borneo.

Thanks for all the comments everyone and we'll add many more pictures and clean up the typing and blabbing a little later, but for now, have to get venturing!

Love,

Jon and Laura

Advertisement



25th January 2007

So Jealous!
Glad everything has worked out with your bags. Sound like you have started an amazing trip. Enjoy - I am so jealous!
4th February 2007

Who's got big balls. You got big balls!
Took a little bit finding the deleted web site and email.... but Welcome to the Jungle caught my eye in the blog search. (Wedding) and jungle u are in. Its sounds like your having quite an eventful adventure! The email was really exciting to read. Aimee fav. part was the big balls story. Mine was the blind man that was cured by the Canadian hot chicks! Smart blind man! LOL! Take good care and be safe....watch the midnight adventures Jon.... big balls might follow you! Can't wait for the pics and to see you both!

Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0518s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb