Still at Danum Valley


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
April 12th 2005
Published: April 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Up at 6:30am went for a walk to take some photographs - it's already hot and humid and mist is hanging over the whole area giving the scene a lost world kind of feel. Danum Valley(DV) is of course low lying - hence "valley" dickhead so it's not going to be cool like highland rainforest...

"Negotiate" our room rates with the rude little nazi administrator. 66RM!! for a dorm bed.....plus an unepected bonus 30RM for the park entry fee in addition to the transfer costs and meals. Chalk that one up to experience. The thing that is hard to stomach is the two tiered pricing structure for Malays and non-Malays (we pay up to 10X more). Consider throwing the other guy to an angry ape.

Went off on a couple of short walking trails but didnt see any wildlife - a PhD student told us that the population density of wildlife here was actually quite low.

Getting changed at the end of the day noticed that a couple of leeches had hitched a ride on my waist line - Rid can out "pffft" die die die!!

8:30pm off on a night safari - now this did get interesting...watched as a giant red flying squirrel jumped about 50m between two trees, very impressive. Also spotted...two Malay civet cats, loads of deer and a couple of leopard cats...no photos though too dark...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0354s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb