Borneo!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah
June 8th 2007
Published: June 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kota Kinabalu sunsetKota Kinabalu sunsetKota Kinabalu sunset

Sunset from Kota Kinabalu in Sabah, Malaysia, Borneo.
June 8 - 12

We flew from Kuala Lumpur to the capital of Sabah, Kota Kinabalu in Borneo, East Malaysia. There wasn’t much happening in KK as they call it, so we booked a 2 night package to do some jungle trekking and river cruises on the Kinabatangan River in the eastern part of Sabah. It was beautiful and therapeutic, if that means getting over my phobia of bugs and gigantic spiders. But still, it was an amazing experience, and I do think I’m starting to get desensitized to the creepy crawlies - I have a few good pics of the science fiction size bugs we encountered. Sungai Kinabatangan is also known for its proboscis monkeys, which are the round bellied monkeys with gigantic noses. They're so funny looking!! We spotted many of these as well as long-tailed and pig-tailed macaques, maroon and silver langurs, various species of hornbills, eagles, and kingfishers. We even spotted an orangutan - Orang-utan is Malay for man of the jungle.

AFter the jungle lodge, we visited Gomatong cave in eastern Sabah. We were both kind of expecting a beautiful cool musty cave with stalagtites, but when we got there found it was a hot and stinky place - Thousands upon thousands of bats (and bat poo) as well as little birds from which they get the birds' nests for the birds' nest soup were there. It was crawling with cockroaches - even albino ones as well as centipedes and millipedes and other scary bugs. the walkway was slippery from all the shit. By the time we left we were in desperate need of getting some laundry done....

We got a minivan to the town of Semporna on our way to Mabul and Sipadan islands.




Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Morning on Sungai KinabatanganMorning on Sungai Kinabatangan
Morning on Sungai Kinabatangan

Went for a morning river cruise on the Kinabatangan river.
Sungai Kinabatangan sunsetSungai Kinabatangan sunset
Sungai Kinabatangan sunset

Sunset coming back from an afternoon river cruise.
ScorpionScorpion
Scorpion

Our guide, Luis, handles a scorpion on one of our night treks... I wasn't gonna try this one.
Proboscis MonkeyProboscis Monkey
Proboscis Monkey

Spotting some proboscis monkeys in the trees during one of our river cruises.
Jungle trekJungle trek
Jungle trek

Pierre, Jen and me
Gomantong CaveGomantong Cave
Gomantong Cave

Slipping on bat and bird poo in the the stinkiest cave I've ever seen.
Leaving SempornaLeaving Semporna
Leaving Semporna

View of the mosque and city over water... on our way to Mabul island


Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb