kinabalu


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Mount Kinabalu
May 19th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Kinabalu TrekKinabalu TrekKinabalu Trek

climbing without a headtorch is not a good idea
Trying to sleep in a room with someone snoring is hard enough for me at any time. Doing it at 3000m with my heart beating like a fecked clock is impossible.

So we set off at 230. I was feeling pretty knackered but we had to do it.

The climb from laban Rata is very steep. It really was pitch black and again we set off last, which meant we were stuck in a bottleneck for the first hour. But as people slowed down we went past them without having a stop. Soon we were on the mountain with just two people in front of us and a long line of torches and headlamps behind.

The stars really do look amazing high up with no light pollution. It was thundering and lightning in Sabah and the sight was awesome high up.

The climb was very hard without a headtorch. I just used my hand held torch with the other hand holding a walking-stick type thing. Old skool style, circa Old Testament.

Victor's leg then goes and he really struggles up the last section to the top - Low's Peak. I'm surprised by how hard it was,
Kinabalu TrekKinabalu TrekKinabalu Trek

Sun coming up....

Kinabalu Trek
Sun coming up....we were pushing it hard to get to the top by sunrise, which we managed comfortably, but it was very tiring.

The photos don't do the view justice, but I'll post them anyway.

It was very cold on the top - less than zero witht he wind chill. But we got lucky with the weather, not much rain on the way up and almost none after completing the summit.

On the way down we were very slow. Most descending looked like they had disabilities. It took us many hours and it was very difficult. Using muscles that are seldom used is a bit of a shock to the system.

At the bottom Victor the guide and I parted ways. I gave him some tips on Laos and Thailand and off he went for another few months of travelling. I was lucky meeting him and he was a good laugh - like most Dutch I've met.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Kinabalu TrekKinabalu Trek
Kinabalu Trek

Me, Victor and the guide
Kinabalu TrekKinabalu Trek
Kinabalu Trek

Awesome views....photos don't do it justice


Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0393s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb