Don't get too close.


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Sabah » Kota Kinabalu
April 8th 2005
Published: April 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Took the speed boat service out to Palau Sapi (Sapi Island) and arrived around 11:30am after half an hour or so on the boat. Hardly anyone on the boat - about a dozen or so. Nice place, no crowds, a few tour groups and that was it.

No monkeys!?? They'd all buggered off into the shade for the hottest part of the day so I did a bit of snorkelling - clean water, a few fish..basically just relaxed. My legs sure are sore - still. Went for a walk around the short trails pleasant enough...

The monkeys finally appeared around 2ish along with the Islands monitor lizards especially one big bugger with big claws and a drooling mouth.The monitors are actually more afraid of us but the first time you set eyes on the big specimens you're not really convinced of this.

Of course the monkeys grabbed everyones attention - one male with a hopeful look about him (thinking that maybe someone would give him a snack - forbidden), a female and two young uns..young uns...

Using the zoom I kept a safe distance but as I watched, one guy just kept getting closer and closer to the babies..at first I thought about warning him away but then reckoned it might be more entertaining to see what might happen. I wasn't disappointed..the mother went nuts, charged over to put herself between the human and the kids then charged at him. She was pissed, he ...well nearly crapped himself. I found it so amusing that I forgot to get a shot of the whole thing - shame, I would've gotten a few good shots...

Off to Sepilok tomorrow...


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb