Jalan Sehala


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang
January 17th 2006
Published: November 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Here's something funny that happened to us in Malaysia. It starts with a street sign saying "Jalan Sehala"...

In Malaysian, "Jalan" means street, so we naturally assumed that Jalan Sehala meant Sehala Street. We were staying in an area close to Little India and, given our love of Indian food, we spent lots of our time wandering around the area. It seemed that on every street corner we saw a sign with an arrow pointing to Jalan Sehala. It became a bit of a joke. Where was this mysterious Jalan Sehala and why was it sign-posted from every street corner?

We scoured our guide book but saw no mention of it. We imagined leaving Malaysia and returning to Thailand to be met with other travellers saying, "What? You didn't go to Jalan Sehala?! Woah, you really missed a treat!!"

Right before we were due to leave Panang and head back to Thailand, the mystery was solved when we saw the sign in both English and Malay. Jalan Sehala means One Way Street!

At least now I won't go to my grave wondering what excitement we missed out on at the mysterious Jalan Sehala!



Advertisement



Tot: 0.08s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0274s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb