Georgetown, Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
March 12th 2012
Published: March 12th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Hello!

We have made it to Malaysia! We had a great time in Thailand but got itchy feet and so spent 11 days there and we are going to spend 11 days here too. (unless we decide we want more than 1 night in Singapore, we might head there earlier than planned).

We woke up at 6 on Sunday morning and caught a taxi to the bus station, where we got the bus to the pier, onto the boat to Surat Thani on the mainland, then 2 minibuses down through the border and into Malaysia. We arrived in Georgetown at 9 pm, so spent 14 hours on the move (Malaysia is 1 hour ahead of Thailand so we are now 8 hours ahead!). Gerogetown is in Penang and is off the mainland so to get to it we had to go over the 4 mile long bridge, which at night gave us a great view of the city lit up at night.

We are staying in the Red Inn, Heritage, which is very nice, have a room to ourselves, free breakfast (chicken nuggets and melon) and is only five pounds a night. Smashing.

So today, our first day in Georgetown started with said chicken nuggets, then we followed out map in the sweltering heat to Fort Cornwallis, built by the Englishman Francis Light who was the first person to set foot on the island in 1786. Couldn't resist the 40p entry. Then we walked down Pengkalan Weld and stopped at a standard pier, or so we thought, for a sit down and some Dooberry buiscuits which are lush. Then as we walked off, I spotted something swimming in the water. I looked closer and it was a lizard that was at least 1 meter long. It looked like a Komodo Dragon to me, have a look for yourself in the pictures.

After the excitement of Dooberries and dragons, we walked further down to the Venice of Malaysia, where 2000 fisherman live in houses on stilts over the sea. Took some nice black and white snaps and moved on.

Then we walked through a Hawker centre where loads of stalls sell food, you know, skinned frogs, fish heads, standard stuff really.

After a spot of lunch there, we started heading back to the hostel, via 'Little India', where all Indian population of Georgetown hang out. I saw lots of old topless men that I took photos of...

After the excitement of a power cut to the whole block, we had a rest in our room and headed out again for dinner. We went straght for Little India as we all fancied a curry, and we weren't dissapointed. Me and Steph had Chicken Tikka Masala, Matt had the Chicken Briyani Claypot and two huge 'world class' naan breads all for 9 pounds. Never been so full.

We wondered back to the hostel which was now lit up by candles and played poker until I won through complete luck!

We have decided to book one extra night here as its cheap and nice and we want another curry tomorrow! Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Oh and if theres any Komodo Dragon experts out there, get in touch, we want to know what we saw!

Charlie


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



12th March 2012

Monitor
looks like a Monitor lizard to me. If you see one making early morning deliveries around the neighbourhood - it's probably a milk monitor.. (sorry). Charlie's Dad.
12th March 2012
DRAGON?

dragon
looks like a monitor lizard which are common wild animals in malaysia sorry to dissapoint charlie, hope ur having a good time
12th March 2012

skinned frogs not nice
Hi you guys. Sounds all sooooo good. Have you done any washing yet. How's your sun burn Charlie. Its mothering Sunday on Sunday. I have hardly bought any cereal since you left. Loved the pics of Barney the bear, Matt. Met Ollie today and his wife. He called you Matthew rather than Matt. That was weird. Lots of love xxxx
12th March 2012

Crocodile
Others can see the rare creature that you photographed! I think I am correct in saying that it is crocodile family - Latin name - Tomistoma schlegelii or the False Gharial. There is a link to some pictures http://www.arkive.org/false-gharial/tomistoma-schlegelii/image-G2071.html#mediaCredit=true . It is an endangered species and in the Red Data book. Used to be found in Thailand but not since 1990. Now restricted to Malaysia, Sumatra and Borneo. They can grow to 16ft! Yours was a small one! Very exciting and your picture probably worth something. I must say the camera's performance is great. Thanks Charlie for the notes - very special to be in contact with this journey.
14th March 2012

Worried of Bristol
I've just tried out the Malay part of Google Translate. Steph's standing in front of a sign that says "Trespassers will be prosecuted. Property under surveillance. Pihano Island Port Commission" Is she getting enough food in prison now? Dad. PS: Steph -- you're not blogging any more - we miss it! PPS: Charlie -- hope the sunburn's better. PPPS: Matt -- look like you ought to be looking after BOTH of them!
16th March 2012

Good views?
Hi guys, did you go up the Petronas Tower yet? I guess you'll be able to watch the Aussie F1 GP without having to get up early! You missed a classic performance from Stevie G in the derby. When you get to Singapore put on your best clothes and go for afternoon tea at Raffles! Love Dad
16th March 2012

Yes
We went up the KL Tower which looks at the pettonas towers but Is only a bit smaller. Yes woke up to the liverpool score! But havnt seen highlights yet... I would love to watch the f1 but can't watch iplayer abroad and doubt well find anywhere that plays it live.
16th March 2012

frogs yuk
i know i'll eat anything but those frogs do not look nice. no odea on dragon- chinese water dragon? iguana? its freezing here today wish i was there. x
16th March 2012

hi matt
hi matt these is harish from india i hope you gays are enjoying the world trip in malaysia i wish all the best to all of you have a nice trip ....xxx
17th March 2012

Hi Harish
Good to see that you have found the blog. Having a great time and it is reminding me alot of India so far. Really looking forward to seeing you in December!! Matt
18th March 2012
DRAGON?

Probably not
My brother Tim is the person to ask, but from looking at a map of the distribution of Komodo dragons, it would seem very unlikely that this is one. Also, they tend to prefer hot, dry places (I don't know if they can swim or not) and I don't remember any pictures of them having yellow circles on their backs.
18th March 2012
DRAGON?

Probably not
My brother Tim is the person to ask, but from looking at a map of the distribution of Komodo dragons, it would seem very unlikely that this is one. Also, they tend to prefer hot, dry places (I don't know if they can swim or not) and I don't remember any pictures of them having yellow circles on their backs.
9th April 2012

hi
hi matt how are you doing i hope you doing well have a nice day ....xxx
11th April 2012

Hi Harisha
Good to hear from you. We are in Australia at the moment driving from Cairns to Melboune. We are currently right next to Brisbane (about half way). We are having a really good time. I hope you are also alright and I'm looking forward to seeing you in December. From Matt

Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0478s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb