I HATE squat toilets


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
January 8th 2010
Published: January 8th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We were up at 8 this morning to catch our bus. Had toast at the hostel then made our way to the station. There we were trundling along with our huuuge bags when it started to rain, so I spent the next 5mins trying to stay upright whilst sliding in my flip flops on the ceramic bathroom tiles that constitute as pavement here.

When we got there we were told that the platform number we'd been given was a lie but luckily it was just two down and we had plenty of time. The bus was amazing, so much room, so comfy and cool. There was only a handful of people on too. Although there wasn't a toilet on the bus we stopped halfway through the journey at a petrol station. The time flew and we just listened to music for entertainment. The views were quite stunning along the way, mountains and jungle.

On arriving at Butterworth, the ferry terminal was sign posted and was literally just a 2min walk. The ferry only took about 15mins. Stupidly though when we got to Georgetown we grabbed a taxi and he charged us 10RM to go about 2mins down the road! We need to get more brutal, darn us with our British politeness 😉

The hostel is OK, sheets are clean, you just have to try not to look at matress and pillows underneath! The bad news is it's a squat toilet 😞 and the shower is in the toilet 😞 😞 My first shower experience was not good as my razor fell off a sloping, rickety shelf into the toilet, needless to say I didn't attempt to retrieve it and I'm afraid it may remain there for several years to come.

Georgetown seems cool, lots of little mopeds whizzing around and looooads of shops and eateries as per usual. Had chicken tikka tonight with rice and a butter naan, it was delicious. Going to go for a few drinks in one of the bars tonight I think.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb