Suka Suka


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
December 24th 2005
Published: December 25th 2005
Edit Blog Post

hey there!

Well ive headed north from KL now, we caught bus 4 hours north through the genting and cameron highlands to an island in the middle of lake. The island is on Lake chenderoh which is north Malaysia and the only village of its kind surounded by a lake. From here we learnt how to play an old game called chongkak - which basically takes all night.
In the morning we caught a boat to another island on the lake. On here there was a tiny village called Batu. This place seemed forgotten in time as we strolled through the thick rainforrest surrounding. We ended up after a bush walk at a secluded waterfall where we took a dip. On the way we learnt about the local herbs and plants which grow in the area. The curry plant with a distinctive smell, root ginger, turmeric, Lemongrass and other plants like kapak which is used for the common mattress! We also learnt that this is the very place where Anna and the king was filmed - i havent seen it so had no idea.

On the way back we stopped of at the village, as we were invited in to our guides (Asman)for tea and crackers - how english!

also on our return we discovered that the area was also inhabited by Leeches. Some of us were much worse off - Leanne ending up having around four enjoying a feast - nice!
Apparently they are medicinal and release an anticoagolant. I ended up only having the one addition to my ankle which didnt get very far until i flung it through the jungle- then it got very far!

Me and Elton then partook in a kyak around the island before donning sarongs for another huge feast that evening with our hosts Aziz and Asiah with son Azam. Our host also happened to mention that a tiger / elephants and snakes inhabit the area - would have been nice to know before! We only saw water buffalo and monkeys so pretty harmless.

At present we are on Penang island and have toured the Blue Mansion and also the largest Buddhist temple of Malaysia - a fantastic sight.

More pics to put on and more explanations so keep posted and Merry Christmas everyone - wish i was there and wish you were here!

Dave
x




Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Secluded waterfallSecluded waterfall
Secluded waterfall

left to right - Me/ Elton/Tony


24th December 2005

Christmas
Trip sounding very different that what you have been experiencing so far. Pics looking amazing, and what an experience to be leached??!!! Take care, Merry christmas no. 1, no.2 one to be arranged when you return. Don't worry think Santa has been informed you are delaying things a bit this year and he has made sure he makes a special delivery upon your return. xxx and hugs, love Gem

Tot: 0.037s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0185s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb