Disappointed and Disillusioned


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
December 18th 2005
Published: December 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well, after leaving the Cameron Highlands in the rain, 6 hours later we arrived on Pulau Penang or Georgetown...in the rain. After successfully bartering our way into town we got the worst news possible. Southern Thailand is closed to traffic via road or rail from Malaysia due to flooding. aaaahhh. With literally every back packer we have met heading to Ko Pha Ngan for christmas we knew this was not good news. Worse still was teh fact that Penang was the most disapppointing place we have visited...by a long way!

Despite the lonely planet (whoever writes that needs a bullet we are slowly learning) proffessing the great buzz and incredible nighlife to be found, we passed about 3 people the whole time we were there. There is not much to see or do and the food is pretty dire. Georgetown is rundown and has no atmosphere so the highlights on this will be quick.

We visited a snake temple where Vipers literally hang around doped up on the incense flying around. Fortunately we arrived on feeding day and got to see them catching, constricting and eating mice - Gross. Although Lara is happy to watch bodies burn in India, apparently seeing a snake eat a mouse is too much for her. Andrew held some snakes and a lizard and then we went back (in the rain) to check the internet for updates on Thailand.

We have decided to go to Pulau Langkawi for the next couple of days as we can get to Thailand by boat from there and hopefully if the rain stops a spot of sunbathing can be done.

For the first time on our travels we both feel a little down...moving from place to place is taking its toll and the thought of not getting to Thailand in time to marry up with our plans will be awful. Since we left we have not spent more than 2 nights in any one place and Thailand was supposed to be our sunny beach holiday. To all those who think travelling is one big holiday, moving your life on your back every 2 days and settling into somewhere new, unfamiliar and sometimes rubbish takes it toll. We are both knackered. Its been a long 5 weeks and we are both ready to make somewhere home for at least 3 nights! No mistake, we are having a fantastic time but really need a break!


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 28; qc: 122; dbt: 0.1132s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb