Tea for two? The Cameron Highlands


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
December 16th 2005
Published: December 22nd 2005
Edit Blog Post

Well after another early start and long bus journey we arrived in The Cameron Highlands. Based in the Centre of the Peninsua at an elevation of at least 1500m this is the garden of malaysia and the most extensive hill station...and also the coldest place on earth (well in Malaysia at least) It was freezing here!

We've had to put socks, proper shoes (ones that constrict my toes) and up to 3 tops at a time on whilst being here (and its actually only about 20 degrees at lowest, but have become acclimatized to the heat now!) Nonetheless, it's beautiful and a refreshing change and well worth freezing our diddlies off for. The drive was incredibly beautiful - a mix of tea plantations, lush greenery and jungle. All washed down with a healthy dose of rolling hills. There is an extremely British atmosphere here - whitewashed houses with black beams, tea and scones, cakes (the best bit for guess who) and of course the rain came down!

Our hostel was pretty shite. To save money we decided to dorm it again - mistake numero uno. Second mistake was the choice of beds ion which to sleep...whoever gave us choice should be shot..things like this should be dictated or at least written in our lunar birth plan as in India. With a snorey, stinking neighbouring bedfellow and some rather friendly bed bugs we awoke the next day gagging for air and scratching frantically. Dividing up our woes, Lara was stuck next to stinky shit face and Andrew took the brunt of the bed bugs.

Anyway, well worth it because the scenery was amazing. We went for a leisurely country stroll following a river out of town, passed some waterfalls and ended up in Boh Tea Plantation. Tea as far as the eye could sea - truly a sight to behold. With malaysians dotting the countryside idly picking tea leaves it was really very picturesque. The Tea was good too - as were the scones, cream, jam and chocolate cake. We are certainly regaining our apetite. Unfortunately for our budget Lara has rediscovered the sweet tooth she fought off prior to the wedding and at the last count has eaten about 6 million bars of chocolate. As we were leaving the tea house it began to rain and we thought the best course of action would be not to follow the river as the path was collapsing, steep and slippery in the dry. So, again armed without a map, your intrepid explorers ventured their own way home......a 20km round trip uphill in the pissing rain! Next time Andrew says "follow me, I know the way", I am going to kick him in the balls!

So, with another adventure under our belt...the news gets worse......




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0235s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb