George Town- Penang, Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
August 22nd 2007
Published: August 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

So it begins in for my Malaysia trip, in Penang an island first operated by the British East India company back in the sixteenth centuary. My first thing was to find a suitable place for breakfast this came in the form of Jim's cafe top bloke with excessive amounts of local information.
My afternoon began at the Cornwallis Fort where the British were based and used for trading in the Indian ocean area. A great little spot to see how the British empire spread in this era of history. A mission followed to find the bus station as the lonely planet guide lies big time!!! Eventually found one to take me to Kek Lok Si Temple- set at the foot of Penang hill. Towering above lots of temples is the Ban Po Pagoda an enigmatic sight of Thai, Chinese and Burmese influences. Behind which, slightly further up the hill accessed by a tram is Kuan Yin a 36m bronze statue, Godess of Mercy.
This hardest thing about the day was working out how to keep dry as although the temperature never reached more then 25degrees the humidity is almost 100%- Sweaty bloke!!!!!
An evening mexican meal and a few beers lead me to bed

Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb