Temples, temples, temples


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
March 22nd 2007
Published: March 22nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

There is not as much to do in Georgetown as we thought there might be - I think it's more of a stopping place to get Thai visas- once that has been done, people move on.

Yesterday, we got up and asked the hostel if we could get visas - we were midway into filling the application forms when the courier came (he was early) and the hostel guys grabbed our half filled forms and sent them off...hopefully we will be able to get the visas tomorrow!

We decided to go to the Kek Lok Si Temple, a bus ride outside town.....this is one of the largest Buddhist Temples in South East Asia. It was interesting, but the whole point of Buddhism is that material wealth means nothing therefore the building of this temple kind of goes against this point if you know what I mean - I have no idea how much it must have cost to build!

We did not do much else, and today we have been planning where we want to go in Thailand. We did think about going to Langkawi Island (Malaysia) and then taking a ferry up to the cluster of
Is James calling me.....Is James calling me.....Is James calling me.....

what I think he is?!!!
islands in Thailand - known as the Ko Tarutao national marine park but it might be quite difficult to stay here as one has to contact the national park ranger to book places to stay. In the end, we thought it would be easier to go to Krabi, as the hostel we currently staying at does minivan trips to Krabi.

Anyway, what were our feelings about Malaysia? Well, as we did not have any expectations to start with, we were not disappointed. We both liked Malaysia a lot and felt very safe here. People were friendly and the standard of English was very good - they still have schools that teach in English. It was also really good to see Chinese, Malay, Indian and other nationalities all live together with no problems whatsoever. If there was one thing, I would say it lacked history! But that's because we are so used to having so much history on display in Europe. We would both definitely come here again.

Well, I'm off to see if our visas have arrived....fingers crossed!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

James with a coconutJames with a coconut
James with a coconut

Quite a popular drink....


Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb