Into Malaysia


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Penang » George Town
January 27th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Ok so we set of on the minibus to the Maly border, at which point i noticed that the driver of the bus had grown his little finger nail to about an inch in length whilst having trimmed the rest of them, and i remembered something Sharn had said about the travel company never doing journeys at night because of the drivers doing speed to keep awake. So i whispered quite worriedly to Charlie that this guy had grown a coke spoon! It wasn't until about a week later that i would find out from Sharn that this was for two completely different reasons; the first being that in chinese-malay culture it's considered unlucky to have your little finger smaller in length than your ring finger so people grow their nails, the second being that it's more hygenic for when they pick their nose.
When we arrived at the Malay border there were two people checking passports, and one of them, an old guy, asked everyone who came through where they were from and if they sai English he would always ask what football team you supported. Now the guys in front of me all supported either Chelsea ot Man utd, so i wasn't that impressed when the scurity guard Knew of them, but when it came to me i said Notts County (expecting him to have never heard of them), not only did he know what division they were in, he also knew what round they had gotten to in last years FA cup!

I arrived in Georgetown on the island of Penang and realsied that there were hardly any Malay people there, pretty much all of them were either Chinese or Indian. The next day i went to the tiger temple, a huge buddist teple on a hill above Georgetown, and saw this huge statue about 200 foot tall. After that we went to this house that was built entirely to the specs of feng shui, i thought it was a bit boring, but the tour guide was completely nuts! She spoke exactly like kim jong il off Team America and actually shouted at us for not wandering around and showing more interest.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.032s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb