Paradise in the Jungle


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Tanah Rata
February 5th 2007
Published: February 12th 2007
Edit Blog Post

The Cameron Highlands - high in the mountains covered in lushous jungle green. THIS is my new paradise!

We left Pulau Pangkor and enjoyed another non-express bus adventure. Riding with the locals on a bus that appeared to be falling apart, people jumping on and off everywhere and anywhere along the highway, and of course, a lovely stop at a road stop cafe to use the toilet.

Let me take this opportunity to tell you about the toilets in Asia - there are 2 kinds. First, the "western imitation" which includes a a normal porcelian bowl (cleaned very UNregularly) minus the comfy restful seat. This is an extreme exercise for your legs as you hover. Most adventures are BYOTP (Bring your own TP). Afterwards, the look of "whew, I survived" crosses your face, you RINSE your hands (no soap provided) and HURRY to find your hand sanitizer stashed somewhere in your bag. The second, is the oh-so-famous Squat Toilet. A hole in the ground, surrounded by a toilet seat (but do not even THINK of sitting here). You simply stand on either side of the hole, squat right down, gain your balance and hope your aim is improving with
Emmy RoseEmmy RoseEmmy Rose

In a rose garden
practice. These toilets are also BYOTP, or for the brave at heart, you can use a hose and water (I have no idea how this works!!!!) Afterwards, rinse and sanitize as necessary. Yes, its a very interesting experience...

Anyway, despite my toilet experience, I LOVED the bus ride into the Cameron Highlands. We climbed the hills along the twisting mountain roads. On either side, we were surrounded by jungle. Very cool. The temperature in Tanah Rata when we arrived was, by our standards, quite cold. Moving from 40C weather to 20C, I bundled up in long pants, long sleeves, my fleece and my scarf.

The first day, I did a "Country Tour". My favourite stop was to the Sungai Palas BOH Tea Estate. The massive tea plantation, which displays rich and vibrant greens that stretch to the horizon, is where BOH produces the majority of their delicious tea. Next we stopped at a Rose Garden, a Honey Bee Farm, a Butterfly Farm and a Strawberry Farm. Linds and I snagged a hilarious pic at the Strawberry Farm, beside a giant plastic strawberry pointing to the "strawberry farm"...aka, a shop that sold ice cream. We had a good laugh.
Linds and KlaasLinds and KlaasLinds and Klaas

40 meters from the finish line


The bus dropped us in the nearby town of Brinchang, where Le Tour de Langkawi was finishing. Le Tour is a popular race that is Malaysia's version of the Tour de France. Riders start in Langkawi and participate in 10 stages, biking all around Malaysia. Stage 3 was scheduled to end in the Cameron Highlands! We parked ourselves (Linds, myself and Klaas, a guy from Holland that we'd met) about 40 meters from the finish line and waited for about 3 hours for the first rider to fly by. What a rush! 138 riders from around the world FLYING passed me at incredible speeds. The crowd gave off such an incredible energy, cheering, clapping, waving flags. We stayed until the final rider crossed.

Our next day in the Cameron Highlands, we went on a jungle trek with our guide John. Very cool. We trekked from the town of Tanah Rata to Gunung (mountain in Malay) Jasar at 1670 meters. The climb was fairly steep but not that difficult - and the views were quite worth it! After a small decent, we trekked through more jungle and started another climb to the peak of Gunung Perdah at 1550 meters.
The first riderThe first riderThe first rider

Flew past so quickly, I almost missed the pic
From the top, we climbed down through the village of Sungai Ruil, which is a Malaysian Aboriginal village. Next we continued our hike back into town passing Parit Falls (a small, unmentionable waterfall) and over a long, rickety suspension bridge. The hike was about 3 1/2 hours - great exercise first thing in the morning! But I think my shin splits are coming back...ouch!

On the hike, I met Sonja (from Germany) and Valerie (a fellow Canadian, from Quebec). Spent the rest of the afternoon with them - and will hopefully meet up with them on Langkawi before they head home and Linds and I head into Thailand.

One last comment about something wonderful yesterday. It was laundry day!!! Usually a day I despise at home, but I LOVE it when I'm travelling. A bag of dirty clothes in the morning miraculously (okay 5RM later) appears in the evening with clothes folded neatly, smelling clean and fresh. Such a luxury!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Gunung JasarGunung Jasar
Gunung Jasar

At 1670 meters, its the second highest peak in western Malaysia
Tiger Beers and PancakesTiger Beers and Pancakes
Tiger Beers and Pancakes

Our reward after the hike


12th February 2007

Luxury at home & on the road
Your hike sounds fabulous, fulfilling and fantastic, but not luxurious. Now about that other luxury...the laundry. You will feel the same luxury on your first day back home. Alas, after that you are on your own in becoming one with laundry day!! Continue to enjoy your wonderful adventure. Love, Mom
13th February 2007

another day in paradise
Hi Emily. It's great that each new place is a new paradise, and so different from the one before. I loved your description of the toilets. Soooo true. Brings back "fond" memories of my China experience. (One of the only times in my life I would have liked to be a man!!) Looking forward to your next adventure. Aunt Elaine
14th February 2007

Happy Valentine's Day
I just wanted to wish you a SPECTACULAR Valentine's Day. I hope it memorable in every way - really how could it NOT be, being overseas and all!! :-) We think (and chat) about you often...Andrew is enjoying keeping tabs on you too!! Take care and we'll talk in a couple weeks! MEXICO HERE WE COME - yea yea yea...
15th February 2007

Miss you!
Hey Emily; It's Nat from physio here with Kristy. We're just ready up and catching up on your amazing adventures. Boy you're doing a lot! I must say you're really living it up... you are so fortunate to see all those amazing places! Keep up your journals and enjoy your vacation, can't wait to see more pics when you get back!
15th February 2007

Happy V-day to all the girls (and boys too, i guess)
Hey girls. Sorry no V-day party was scheduled this year to eat yummy food and watch Sex and the City. Next V-day I promise - it'll be spectacular, just as it always is! Hope you all have a good one and spend it with someone you love. I'm alone but still smiling and falling in love with the beach and sunsets.

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0668s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb