Tea and scones in the mountains!


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Pahang » Cameron Highlands
March 1st 2006
Published: March 1st 2006
Edit Blog Post

We arrived in Cameron Highlands yesterday afternoon after another long bus journey. I was really tired after getting up at 6am but really tried to stop myself from falling asleep as the views on the way up the mountains were beautiful.
We arrived at Thana Rata in the afternoon and there were a few minibuses there for hotels that took you there for free. We'd been informed that Fathers Guesthouse was good so got into their minibus but when we got there it wasn't very nice at all - really really basic and on top of a hill all by itself so would have been a trek to get to town (and after the trek we had to do everyday from Had Rin when we stayed in that bungalow we thought maybe not!) So we ended up staying in the Cameronian Inn which is really nice and costs 50 Ringett (which is about 8 pounds). We have hot water and a decent sized room and the place is really nice and cosy. They've got self service tea and coffee which is really good (the first decent cup of coffee I've had since I've been at home!), a TV room, Internet, a
Cameron HighlandsCameron HighlandsCameron Highlands

This is where we stayed - yep they had tea and scones!
washing machine (this is the first time we've been able to do our own washing and it was great - we usually give it to people to do and one time he wrecked our white t-shirts so was nice to be able to do it ourselves) and the staff are really helpful. Lots of backpackers there too so its a really nice atmosphere.

It kind of feels like were in the English countryside here - the Cameron Highlands is famous for its tea and they have tea and scones everywhere! We had tea and scones yesterday evening at the Inn which watching the rain outside (after a hot day it decided to rain for about an hour or so!) - really felt like we were back home!

Today we went on a tour which was really good. First we went to a temple. Then we went to this flower garden which was really pretty, we took loads of pics there which I will upload soon. Then to a strawberry farm where we had the best strawberries and icecream (even though it was only about 10.30 in the morning!) and we also bought 2 punnets of strawberries! Then we went to a butterfly garden. I've decided I really don't like butterflies - they are just moths in disguise. They were very pretty but one landed on my head and it freaked me out! Also saw loads of insect things there like scorpions and this really weird leaf insect which looked exactly like a leaf but was an insect - really strange! Next we went to the tea plantation where we were told how all the tea was made which was interesting, then we went to the coffee shop and had some more tea and scones (and apple pie!) There were some amazing views from up there but the stupid cameras battery run out at the butterfly garden so we only had patrices phone to take pics with (its a good phone though which we can still upload so fingers crossed they ok as the views were really amazing!)

We got back and went to have some lunch at this place called The Orient on Thana Rata high street. It was a bit expensive (well for Asian prices not for London) but we were really hungry and it looked nice so we went in. And it was horrible! I ordered Chow Mien and got these hard noodle things with chicken in the middle - it looked like a birds nest! So annoying wasting money on rubbish food - and they added government tax - me and patrice were not impressed.

We're off to Kuala Lumpur tomorrow, its a shame we can't stay here a bit longer as its so lovely and peaceful but as we only have a week in Malaysia we want to see a bit more of the country.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

The flower gardensThe flower gardens
The flower gardens

Patrice and the tomatoes
The strawberry farmThe strawberry farm
The strawberry farm

Me and Patrice eating our strawberries and ice cream, yum!
The butterfly and insect farmThe butterfly and insect farm
The butterfly and insect farm

Patrice with something big
The butterfly and insect farmThe butterfly and insect farm
The butterfly and insect farm

The Leaf Insect - can you spot it!


Tot: 0.105s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0553s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb