Day 1 - Melbourne to Melaka via Kuala Lumpur


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
October 17th 2015
Published: April 18th 2016
Edit Blog Post

After getting home about midnight we were in bed about 12:30am.
The alarm went off at 6:00am and it was a struggle to get up but we were up and ready to leave by 6:40am. We got a very smooth run to the airport and arrived at the A1 Parking by 7:30am. We handed over the keys, jumped in the minibus and got delivered to the airport.
We had already checked-in so were able to wait in the much shorter ‘bag drop’ line.
It took maybe 15mins before we were bag free and headed in the direction of the Irish Pub for our 'Breakfast Vodka'. After that, Bec went for a quick smoke before we quickly went through customs.
We got some non liquid breakfast at Hungry Jacks before a having a walk around the shops and making our way to our gate. We boarded fairly quickly then sat on the plane for a while as someone had checked-in but never boarded, so they had the remove their bags. I still don't understand how that happens. We left about 20mins late because of this.
I got about a 15min nap in before it was TV time. I'd previously loaded my tablet up with shows so I had plenty to watch. I got through a few episodes of various shows before it was time for another nap.
I woke maybe an hour and a half later and was highly entertained playing peek-a-boo with the toddler sitting in the row in front, who, although she was sick was still extremely well behaved. Then it was time for more TV and another nap, some more shows then a little while later it was almost time to land in Kuala Lumpur.
We landed about 25mins late thanks to our delay in Melbourne but made it through customs very quickly. Getting our bags took a little longer but eventually we had them and headed in the direction of Europcar Rentals.
For the next 4 days we had control of a silver Proton Persona Sedan. The lovely Europcar man set up our address in the satellite navigation system and we were on our way - bound for Melaka. It said it was going to take approximately 1.5hrs. We made our way onto the motorway and to our first toll point. We had no idea which queue to be in or what would happen once we got there. We got up to the booth and the girl gave us a card and off we drove, with no clue what the card was for. We drove for a bit before arriving at our Exit 227 Simpang Ampat. That was where we found another toll booth. We handed the card to the lovely girl and she told us we owed her 13mr. We were happy with this as it was only about $4AUD. That is where our headache started with rubbish traffic getting into Melaka. The Garmin underestimated the trip by almost an hour.

We got the hotel about 8:00pm, found our free parking and checked-in. We had quick body showers as there was no hot water, which ended up being quite refreshing. We then made our way in search of food as we hadn't eaten since about 9:00pm Melbourne time - which was about 14hrs earlier. We were so tired and hungry that we just made our way to McDonalds - sad but true. It was so cheap, only 20MR for two meals (approx $7AUD). We felt bad after it though and vowed not to eat McDonalds too many more times during the trip.
It was just after 9:00pm, so from there we decided to load up our google maps on the McDonalds wifi and make our way on foot in search of the Jonker Night Markets. We found some cool things on the way, like the Christ Church Melaka and the Hard Rock Cafe, before reaching Jonker Street. There were so many people and it was quite overwhelming. We walked through, taking a few photos before detouring down a side street and doubling back on ourselves down the parallel street to get away from the crowds. We ended up back where we started and walked back toward our hotel.
We came across some more night markets on the way back so checked them out as well, very similar to the others. From there we headed back to the hotel in a roundabout way, stopping at a convenience store on the way for some alcohol. Stupidly we chose some premixed vodka drinks. On return to the hotel, just after 11:00pm, we discovered that the premixed drinks tasted like adult cough medicine. I was completely shattered by this point and hit the hay, while Bec watched the soccer.

Total steps: 21,168
Total kms: 16.37

Advertisement



Tot: 0.127s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0971s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb