Day 4


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Melaka » Melaka City
October 2nd 2007
Published: October 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Went to visit Bukit China this morning - a Chinese burial ground on a hillside with trees. No one else around but some amazing headstones - some people had small houses on their graves, but most had horse shoe shaped memorials with large moats around the back and with round stones in the middle. Some even had water in front which the dragon flies hovered above.

Visited the Museum of Enduring Beauty which featured information about the different cultures of people settled in Melaka, a display of tops (which seems to be a national sport) and kites. The top floor was all about body beautification: tattoos, piercings, foot binding, corsets, earrings etc. and featured pictures of many tribal people. Well worth the 2 ringit entrance fee. Then visited the Sultans Palace - a cool dark wood building with displays about the different rukers and settlers to Melaka.

Found a fantastic Nyonya restaurant - opposite the hotel called the Bulldog Cafe. It was a beautiful colourful room with a very high ceiling and lots of old telephones and bicycles. There wasa pool in the middle of the room with fish and lovely green plants/trees. We had excellent fish that was baked and served on a banan leaf and some little top hat pastry things filled with turnip, plus the usual beeong noodles.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0352s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb