Langkawi


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Langkawi
May 10th 2009
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Day 104

After a disturbed night sleep we set off to the port to get a ticket for the ferry to the island of Langkawi. The ferry left at 8.15am and it was full of people sitting in airline type seats for the 2 and half hour trip. After 30 minutes there was a lot of commotion on the boat as everyone was getting sea sick. Luckily we were OK and arrived safely into Kauh on the popular holiday resort island of Langkawi.

After getting some lunch we got a taxi and arrived at our accommodation Zakary Guest House in Pantai Tengah. It was a very hot afternoon but we braved it and went for a walk into the main town. In the evening we went to the restaurant next door and had a delicious curry.

11/5
Day 105

This morning we went down to the local beach it was very hot although the sea was refreshing. Although it is a very picturesque island the sea here on the west coast is murky and not very clean. When we left Penang we saw lots of rubbish in the water and it seems to have arrived here on the beach. Just as we got to the beach storm clouds gathered and a wall of water was steadily moving our way. We took refuge under a hotel resort bar until the rain passed and the sun came out.

After a couple of hours we returned to our hostel and rested in the cool air conditioned bedroom. We flaked out, after all we have seen 4 cities (Sydney, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Penang) in a week and travelled to north Malaysia.

In the evening we had a Chinese meal and enjoyed socialising at the hostel bar. It has really surprised us the mix of people here at the hostel, it is not your usual 18 to 21 gap year travellers. There is a couple in their early fifties from Chesterfield (Karen and Mick) that have been travelling Asia for over 6 months and are treating it like home (on a super tight budget of £140 a week), this is their second visit to this location and they are returning in October! Mick is full of life and is having the time of his life, he is really the sole of the hostel atmosphere. Another couple in their forties we met from Leeds are travelling for 12 months and then several other couples like us who have given up work to see the world and are hoping for jobs when they get back.

12/5
Day 106

Today we has a rest day, it started by watching the heavy rain while having breakfast. We sat with Neive (the always helpful Irish concierge) looking at the terrapins and snakes swimming round the pond. It was very very humid today after the rain so we stayed in the shade of the hostel social area avoiding the sun. We kept our eyes peeled as we have been told that cobras also like to visit the bar!

The hostel is just out of town and on the skirts of the jungle. It has a rough and ready, no frills feel to it although it is kept clean and maintained. But what it lacks in character it makes up with atmosphere and it the most social place we have stayed on the trip. In fact we spent the whole day here chatting to everyone and even jumped in the inflatable swimming pool when we needed to cool down.

In the evening we walked into town and saw the beautiful colours of the sunset on the beach before enjoying a meal at one of the local restaurants.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0286s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb