Kluang Rail Coffee Weekend 2011


Advertisement
Malaysia's flag
Asia » Malaysia » Johor
September 18th 2011
Published: September 19th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Sunday, 18th September 2011


We woke up especially early for a Sunday morning in order to be on time to catch the morning express train to the town of Kluang in central Johor. By 8.00am, we had already reached the other side of the customs and purchased the tickets for our train journey.

Our train arrived on schedule at 8.50am but it was only after 9.12am before it finally departed, on its way to the town of Kluang. Like all shutterbugs out there, this minor holdup was welcoming as we had all the time in the world to perfect our shots of JB Sentral Station and the comfortable Express Train we were travelling for our morning leg.

Enroute, our train passed through the town of Kulai and the patches of oil palm plantations dotting the Johor countryside. After what must had been more than an hour on the rail, we finally reached our destination at 10.30am.

As soon as the train doors opened, we were greeted by the sights and smells of the aromatic Kluang Rail Coffee Stall. From its humble beginnings in 1938, the coffee stall had grown and become an institution of itself drawing visitors all over Malaysia and Singapore.

We were lucky to be able to grab a table by the corner before tucking in to a satisfying breakfast consisting of the special kaya toast, half-boiled eggs and of course, the legendary Kluang Coffee. For the record, our yummy breakfast added up to RM9.90 or a mere RM3.30 per person.

For sure, our extra efforts of having to wake up early on a Sunday morning was not wasted.


Kluang Rail Coffee Details

Open: Fridays to Wednesdays
7.00am to 12.00pm; 2.30pm to 6.00pm
Closed: Thursdays


Train Details

All KTM tickets between JB Sentral and Kluang cannot be reserved advanced online. Ticket sales commence 24 hours before scheduled departures at all train stations.

JB Sentral to Kluang:
Train #: 2 Ekspres Rayat
Departure: 8.50am
Arrival: 10.30am
Costs: RM 14.00
Class: Superior
Reserved Seating: Yes

Kluang to JB Sentral:
Train #: 91 Shuttle
Departure: 3.15pm
Arrival: 5.10pm
Costs: RM 4.00
Class: Local
Reserved Seating: No

Our local train arrived at JB Sentral some 25 minutes behind schedule at 5.35pm. There was another earlier Express Train departing Kluang at 1.57pm that same afternoon. However, tickets for this run were sold out.




Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.344s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 16; qc: 82; dbt: 0.2343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb