Macau


Advertisement
Macau's flag
Asia » Macau
February 5th 2007
Published: February 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

On Sunday, my roommate and I planned to take a day trip to Macau. From Kowloon it was about a 2 hour trip and about an hour and fifteen minutes of that was on a ferry. We got a late start due to a few incidents that happened earlier that morning, but we finally arrived about one o'clock. When we first arrived we had no clue as to where to go, so we perched ourselves on a median and opened the map. Our first stop was a ten minute walk from the ferry called Fisherman's wharf. It was a replica of different cities around the world filled with casinos, restaurants and bars. Not many people were there because it was a sunday, I assume. The next planned stop was a beach on Taipa. We got onto a bus that a hotel doorman told us to take. The problem was they didnt announce the stops in english, so we guessed and got off. Well, as you could imagine it wasn't the right stop and we were now on an island that spoke no english. We eventually found a map and hailed a taxi trying to show him where we wanted to be. He grinned and off we were. He dropped us off in a small town on Coloane. The town was very beautiful. For once, it was quite and I could actually hear the rustling of leaves. We walked to the back of a courtyard and found a cafe with many people. We sat on the patio and watched kids play with the dogs and throw firecrackers(which got kind of annoying after about 15 minutes). I ordered chicken baked with coconut and it came out cooked in a coconut, as you can see from the picture. Once we had a full belly we decided to bop around town. We came to this path that led to through the woods. Once we came to a clearing it looked like a cemetery, but we never figured it out. Next we walked along the beach, then headed back to town. By this time the coffee had ran through us and it was time to find a restroom. The only one we found was literally filled with 2 inches of toilet water and literally a hole in the ground for an actual toilet. This is where squatting would come in handy. I decided to wait. Once we got back to the ferry station, I ran to the bathroom. No toilet paper. I ran to the other side. No toilet paper. After 30 minutes of searching in giftshops for tissues, I finally stumbled across some. On the ride home I was exhausted. I finally made it and passed out in bed.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

My Dinner My Dinner
My Dinner

I ordered chicken baked with coconut and this is what I got. It was really good.
CemeteryCemetery
Cemetery

I think this was a cemetery, but I am not certain.
The SunsetThe Sunset
The Sunset

The sunset off the patio of the restaurant


7th February 2007

Beautiful!!!
Since I've visited China, I've not left and I hope to visit Macau soon; I guess I could go by train. Macau is beautiful; that Casino looks like a temple on a lake right? I've seen similar temples like that here, there's one that stands on a mountain. Have you traveled to China before? Its also beautiful, I'm sure it shares some similarities with Macau.. ---- http://www.passport-to-china.com
9th April 2007

Memorable Macau
Macau was full of great sights in particular I loved the Portugese architecture. I spent a hasty afternoon in Taipa, great food and just simply walking the cobblestoned streets was magic. My return trip on the ferry to Hong Kong was a memorable one. Leaving Macau just as a category 3 cyclone warning was issued, the crossing of the Sth. China Sea became a little more interesting when an internal exit door of the ferry opened slightly to allow enough water into the ferry for me to think we may have to break out the life rafts. I later discovered that the ferry company was not one that come highly recommended!!

Tot: 0.042s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0237s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb