bamboo bridge, sunset on the Mekong and the most beautiful temple in Loas


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
March 12th 2015
Published: March 12th 2015
Edit Blog Post

There are two bridges over the Nam River for vehicular traffic. For pedestrians only, there is a bamboo bridge. It costs about 60 cents for a return trip. The bridge feels relatively secure. However, the steps at the end are a big steep..in fact, it is more like a ladder.



While Gayle was here, we went out on the Mekong for a boat ride a sunset. While sky is very hazy now, partly due to the intense heat, but mostly due to the burning that has now started out on the hillsides, it was still really quite lovely.



My place is very close to Wat (Temple) Xieng Thong. This is considered the most beautiful wat in Loas. It was constructed between 1548 and 1571 (not the oldest temple, by any means...). The main worship space, called the sin, is totally covered with intricate stencil designs, in gold on either a red or black background. The scenes depicted are both secular and religious. The complex has recently been restored, with most of the funding coming from the United States Ambassador’s fund...now, if they would also pay to clean up the bombs they left here, things would be much better.



Anyway, there are other buildings in the temple complex. One of them, called the Chapelle Rouge, for obvious reasons, is heavily covered on the exterior with glass mosiacs.





A spectacular place.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



12th March 2015

Spectacular pictures. Thanks so much for continuing to share your wonderful adventure with us all. Lynn
12th March 2015

Hi! Glad you like the photos. Time here has just flown by....will be home soon
12th March 2015

Great pics
Really nice pictures Deb. The bamboo bridge looks ........... interesting .... lol ..... is there enough room underneath for boats ? Fascinating journey so far. Thanks for sharing this.
12th March 2015

Well, there are only small boats on the Nan, and they can easily pass under the bridge. I should have mentioned that when the rainy season comes the bridge is dismantled, so it is only a dry season thing. Each year itmis rebuilt.

Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0512s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb