the waterfalls and the elephant camp


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
March 8th 2015
Published: March 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

On Thursday Gayle (a friend from Ottawa who is here for a week), Thong, Yeng and I went to Kuang Si Waterfalls for the morning. This is a very popular spot, so we went early, leaving at 8:30 in the morning. It was a great idea to head out early, we had the place almost to ourselves until almost noon, when others started arriving and we were ready to head to the butterfly reserve, which is very close by. There are several levels to the falls, and the water is an amazing blue-green. This is due to the minerals that flow from the rock into the water. It is a gorgeous spot, and I managed a swim in one of the pools.



The butterfly reserve was very interesting. A relatively new venture started by a Dutch couple. It has only been open for a year and a bit.





On Friday, Gayle and I went to the Elephant Camp on an overnight trip. This is a non-profit centre that takes in elephants who have been mistreated. It will also take an elephant and its owner/trainer, and allow them to work in the Camp, rather than the logging industry. They will also ensure the elephants have enough to eat and are properly cared for by the vets and vet assistants. We learned some of the commands that the mahouts use, and then we rode the elephants, up on their heads, as the mahouts do. Fortunately, there was a platform built so we could get on to the elephants without climbing up their leg, as the mahouts do. While it was no cake walk getting onto the elephant from the platform, it was possible. Dismounting was accomplished by sliding down their flanks, while someone held your leg, or bum, whatever they had to grab to make sure you did not fall. We also walked the elephants part of the way to their home in the jungle, and went to get them the next morning, riding them into the water and giving them their morning bath. I had the same elephant both days. Her name was Mae Khon, and she was a real sweetie. When we got in the river, the mahout gave me a big scrub brush and a bucket, and I poured water over her and scrubbed away. I was amazed at how dirty she was, since she had a bath the previous afternoon, before heading into the jungle. She put her trunk into the water and sprayed up a huge splash of water, totally soaking me. It was really, really funny, and I was laughing, so she did it again, and it seemed the more I laughed, the more she sprayed. A great adventure.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



8th March 2015

Amazing!
Hi Aunt Deb! What a wonderful trip! I'm so glad that you have taken this opportunity for adventure! Elephant washing seems pretty cool to me. Love, Alice

Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0528s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb