A Very Short Week in Laos


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos
September 4th 2006
Published: September 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

VientianeVientianeVientiane

This world capital has dirt roads and open sewers.
We did a quick trip through Laos, about a week in only the biggest, and therefore most touristy, cities. It’s a beautiful country, and the atmosphere is much more relaxing and welcoming than Vietnam. In the northern city we visited, Louang Prabang, electricity and telephones only arrived about 5 years ago. Even in the capital, Vientiane, there were some dirt roads and all open sewers. Wow, we really loved it. Lots of sitting around, and lots of looking at temples. We arrived in Louang Prabang, unwittingly, just as the yearly boat racing festival was beginning - the biggest party in town. There was a gigantic street market for a couple of days, and thousands of people came in from the countryside to watch and compete. The city was just PACKED and there was music and food and fun all around. We also took a Lao cooking course, which all of you are invited to sample when we get home!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

Vientiane 2Vientiane 2
Vientiane 2

Brian and I chillin' with our weapons
Louang PrabangLouang Prabang
Louang Prabang

There are wats (temples) EVERYWHERE
Louang Prabang 2Louang Prabang 2
Louang Prabang 2

Sara sized door
Louang Prabang 3Louang Prabang 3
Louang Prabang 3

The crowds for boat-racing day - the first time we'd seen umbrellas in months, and there sure were a lot of them!
Louang Prabang 4Louang Prabang 4
Louang Prabang 4

There were little boys with serious looking toy guns everywhere, strange to see playing in a temple yard, and strange for a country so absolutely devastated by war.
Louang Prabang 6Louang Prabang 6
Louang Prabang 6

Cookin' up a storm - chicken larp on the way!
Louang Prabang 7Louang Prabang 7
Louang Prabang 7

I believe Brian's making some eggplant with minced pork and oyster sauce.
Louang Prabang 8Louang Prabang 8
Louang Prabang 8

The Pak Ou caves where people bring home-made buddha statues and put them everywhere.
Vientiane 3Vientiane 3
Vientiane 3

Just a pretty picture of the Mekong.


Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 62; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb