Buddha Park


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
September 6th 2012
Published: September 6th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I woke reasonably early and sought out breakfast at the reliable JoMa bakery. My regular latte and cinnamon bagel. I had a walk down the river front (where the night markets held) and then had a walk in search of a second hand book shop. Laos has typically been pricier than Thailand and it did not fail when it came to second hand books. They wanted around £4 for a used book!

I wandered to the black stupa; 'That Dam' Many Laotians believe that it is inhabited by a 7 headed naga who tried to protect them from the armies of Siam, when they invaded in the 1800's.

On the way back I stopped off for lunch at the Scandinavian bakery.

This afternoon I met up with the 3 Germans, 2 girls & 1 Lad, we headed out to the Buddha Park. We'd been told that bus is by far the cheapest option; so ever the backpackers we walked to the day market and flagged down the number 14 bus. The journey to the border... Yes border (we suddenly panicked!) It was ok though, just the point at which we had to change mode of transport. It cost 6000kip to here - took around 1hr and then we got on a clapped out minivan for the remaining half hour journey to the park costing another 2000Kip. All in all it was a 25km trip that took 1hr30...Ill let you figure out what the roads were like!!!

The Buddha park was brilliant, well worth the total cost of 8000 kip to get there. I'll upload photos tomorrow.

The park was started in 1958 and the different statues are made of reinforced concrete, they are ornate and some are bizzare in design. The statues appear to be centuries old, though they are not. There are sculptures of people, animals, gods and demons and many buddha sculptures too. Probably the best sculpture there in my opinion is the ginat round one, inside it has 3 stories, hell, heaven and earth. You enter through the opening of the mouth and then climb very narrow staircases to the levels. At the top, the entire park is visible. However, the rain came so we got drenched! I would definitely recommend you take the time to visit if you are in Vientiane.

I had my first proper meal in Vientiane this evening after my bad stomach; Lao chicken potato and carrot curry. It was really nice.

Arriving back at the hostel I noticed Edward (from the Philippines, 33) and Kevin (from Canada, 22) had checked in, both of whom I met in Luang Prabang, so I've spent the evening with them.

Off to bed soon but check again tomorrow and I'll upload today's photos

Love to all xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 37, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



7th September 2012

hey hun! hope you're well. just checked out your pictures. the bhudda park is great isnt it, the statues are huge! aww and the video of the monkeys...they are so cute and can't believe how close they let you get! finally got some cushions for our sofa, i have sent you a picture! spoke to mum yesterday, nanna seems to be having a good time! and was planning on visiting dad tonight but he is going for tea with kris (so dont need to worry if he's eating ok!! lol). speak soon. love you lots and take care :) xxxxxx

Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb