Another day in Vientiane


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vientiane
September 5th 2012
Published: September 5th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Well, given the current situation with my stomach and the need for a regular toilet visit (sorry I know you didnt need to know that) I have decided to stay an extra night in Vientiane and will now leave for Savvanakhet on friday. I have reserved a room at Leena Guesthouse there.

Last night I called to a French restaurant for my tea. However left a little earlier than anticipated (due to that damn stomach of mine) it was called le provence and I would thoroughly recommend it. A little on the pricey side but needs views to the illuminated fountain in the evening. Plus right night to the Scandanavian bakery if you facy a nice cake afterwards!!

After another OK nights sleep, I left this morning to find Patuxai - It's a replca of the Arc de Triomphe (Paris) and dominates the commercail district. It was donated by the USA to commemorate the Loa who died in the wars. For 3000 KIP you can climb the stairs to the top for views over the city.

Laos is still in the process of generating projects to increase their prosperiyt and whilst eco tourism is beginning to flourish and the country is seeing more western visitors year on year it is still a place less travelled by most.

Maybe due to their buddhist beliefs or otherwise, in general the Loa people are welcoming, kind people and I have yet to see even a heated argument take place.

A few new faces have appeared at the hostel. A european woman arrived today, along with a guy last night.

The dorm is still relatively quiet in an evening and most are in bed by 11.30pm. Those who are not are in general quite respectful of others, although there is a lack of evening entertainment in Laos after midnight. So the fun is generally to be had in the common area of the hostel. Where Sky sports is on EVERY day along with UK music.

I'm possibly going to join some people from the hostel at the Buddha park this afternoon, as a Tuk Tuk on your own is quite expensive but it looks as though a bus has been put on a 40000 KIP each, so although still on the high side its much cheaper than the 150000 KIP as mentioned in the Lonely Planet.

Still need to book the bus to Savannakhet but i'm playing things by ear at the moment, dont fancy being stuck on a bus for 10 hrs if my stomachs not 100%

For anyone considering a flying visit of Vientiane, or for those like myself that read there is little in Vientiane in terms of sights, ignore it, head here for at least a few days, theres lots to see and take in. Dont rush through the place unless you really have to. And bear in mind that Loas is on the pricier side than Thailand.

Love to all xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 28; dbt: 0.029s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb