The Longest Bike Ride Ever followed by a climb up a Sheer Rock Face!


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
August 7th 2009
Published: August 7th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Hello everyone!


It is raining hard now as we seem to be in the middle of a storm so we thought it was a good time to write =)
Last night we went to a restaurant which had 2 resident stray kitties and they were so adorable, so small! So we gave them our leftover meat and they seemed very pleased with that and took photos of course! There are lots of cats, dogs, chickens, roosters and cows all around Vang Vieng just wandering happily.

Today we decided to rent bikes and explore the nearby caves in the mountains which sounds easy but a 14km cycle ride was actually quite difficult! (For me anyway). Especially the fact that the bikes weren't exactly mountain bikes and the roads were... well.. nonexistent! We actually went to two caves and lagoons, one earlier this morning and one later.
We went through some amazing scenery of the cloudy mountains and rice paddies though and at the end of it there was a green lagoon / pond which you can swim in and swing on ropes into!

The cave was located far up the mountain and to get there you basically had to climb the cliff face into the jungle which was quite scary although we did see some of the weirdest insects and bugs I have ever seen including a black worm thing with a spade for a head, no joke.

Alex: Well I'm still ill at the moment 😞-got man flu. It's gotten better since yesterday. I've just got a bit of a headache and a runny nose. On the mend! It didn't stop me from going to the lagoon or all the hiking. But I can tell you when I got back I had a hearty drink of whiskey-the drink of the gods!

For those of you who thought that it was too late to start travelling well you are wrong! We have been joined by Judith (who I have named Granny J). When she was born remains unclear but I'd put it between the 5th and 6th century. She actully seems pretty cool as she says she drove overland from england to nepal in 1967 in a 50 pound car?? That's pounds GBP not a car that weighs 50 pounds-that would be ridiculous!

Not much has been going on-just trying to take it easy. Sometimes I'd speak to granny J about what it was like living through the industrial revolution but other than that it's all going fairly cool. I'm not going to be doing much tomorrow I think-may watch Friends reruns in one of the bars here.

We're still looking for a camera wire and when we do we'll be adding photos again!

Much Love

K&A



Advertisement



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb