Entering the Lost World...


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
August 6th 2009
Published: August 6th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Hanoi to journey to Vinh which is closer to the border with Laos. We only spent a night at Vinh as it was only a stopover really, so in the morning we started our 8 hour journey to Vientiane (pronounced as Vee-en-tee-en or Vee-en-chen for the locals).

The noticeable difference between Vietnam and Laos is the busy-ness. No one honks their horn and things seem a lot more laid back here. Almost...pleasant to walk around... The standard of driving generally seems a lot better and safer and zebra crossings may actually mean zebra crossings...

The border crossing went smoothly and as we passed from Vietnam into Laos the scenery changed, there were much less houses and the mountains seem to rise more steeply from the plains straight into the clouds! We have quite a few really good pictures from that journey with the cloud-capped green humps rising through the mist. It was very much out of Jurassic Park!!

The scenery here in Laos (silent 's', rhymes with 'take a BOW') is just stunning and the people match it perfectly, they always seem to have a smile and are very friendly. We have learnt hello "sa bai dee" and thank you very much "kop chai le lai" =) So have been using these a lot!

Alex was finding the incredibly hectic atmosphere of Vietnam and the people (sometimes it seemed they didn't like westerners that much) a bit stressful towards the end of our stay in the northern capital so I think Laos is a welcome break for him! He also has man flu so cue copious amounts of moaning and sneezing. I will undoubtedly be getting it soon... Nooooo. (although of course with a lot less complaining 😉 ) we are on the hunt for lemsip and sudafed.

Vientiane seemed so small for a capital city, and quiet too. It has a boulevard and an arc de triumphe just like Paris! The French influence is highly apparent as there are lots of signs in french and french restaurants too. We went on a walking tour and saw Sisiket Wat which was the oldest temple in Vientiane and has over 2000 buddha statues around the complex and inlaid in the walls. We also saw a butterfly the size of a dinnerplate here! It was beautiful. And a very cute kitten too =)

Later that day we decided to go to the Buddha Park. Kelly had seen pictures of this and really wanted to go but a taxi or tuk tuk would have cost over 10 dollars round trip so we couldn't afford this. But where there is a will there is a way! Our guide helped us get a local bus which was definitely an experience. On the way there we were lucky enough to share it with a very old very wise looking monk.

The Buddha Park is a field with lots of huge crazy statues in it, built in the 50s by a rich monk / shaman guy who did it just for kicks I think? It was fun looking at all the statues and we have great photos.
Alex says: *SNEEZE*

All in all the trip on the public bus and the entry cost us only 2 dollars or so each so it was well worth it.


We're now in Vang Vieng which is backpacker paradise, hammocks and "buckets" (of alcohol) galore. The scenery is again spectacular though! We are hoping to go tubing tomorrow which is 'the thing to do here'

It was actually me (Kelly) who cut myself as my piercing got pulled and that's what caused it! But I haven't died yet and it seems to be ok, not hurting or anything =)


Most importantly here is a shout out to Grandma Tuppen to say Happy Birthday all the way from Laos! Hope you have a wonderful day and we will bring back something from our travels =)

Lots of Love, we will write again tomorrow!

K&A



Advertisement



6th August 2009

Flu...and stuff
Hi guys, glad that all is well. Your writings are still painting a wonderful picture - anyone would think Kelly was an English scholar!! I am pleased that you are finding Laos enjoyable as my own (oviously wrong) idea was that it was going to be the low part of your trip. Poor man flu Alex - please keep the flu in Laos as I have yet to catch it although the rate of swine flu in UK seems to be going up fast. On your trip back to the UK you need to be very careful of those that sneeze (ho ho) etc. Catch-it, Bin-it, Kill-it is the strap-phrase. Use tissues and antiseptic hand wash. ........And that's the end of the Gov.UK advert.... Keep enjoying yourselves - I assume the money issue has been sorted as you've not said anyting to me. Lots of love Dad/Russ xxx
6th August 2009

Thank you
Dear Kelly and Alex, Thank you so much for your Birthday greetings it was very good of you to remember me from so far away. It must be the furthest I have had a birthday wish from!!.I expect you will be doing S.E. Asian cooking when you get home,you might want to bring back some ingredient back that is not available in the U.K. Keep enjoying yourselves and we hope the stomach and manflue are in recovery!!!! Lots of love Grandma, Grandpa and Nell xxxxx
6th August 2009

haHA
I was right!, mum was pronouncing it louse, but I said it as it rhymes with ow. It was L'occitane all over again. :O Sounds like you are having a good time, mum was worried you were in that airplane crash in thailand, but I told here you were in Vietnam. I'm sure you won't die of septicemia, though. :) I'm in Kent, looking after Owen, and its really sunny, though not as sunny as where you are I'm guessing. Love you lots Sophie

Tot: 0.121s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 48; dbt: 0.057s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb