Vientiane HHH run and tubing in Vang Vieng


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Vang Vieng
May 14th 2008
Published: May 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

VientianeVientianeVientiane

The gang of 4 but one has to take the photo
Boy, I am tiered. The whole day was spending in a tube in the river, watching other people get pissed and stoned. Yes, people, I am in Vang Vieng the backpacker paradise. Nothing to do then tubing, drinking, smoking and watching friends…..

But let’s report first what happened the last few days.

As you all know we made the trip to Vientiane in one piece on the train. We arrived Monday at lunch time and checked into our hotel. $18 per room. Cheap country again. The next mission was when and where the Hash House Harriers are running from. One reason we came up to Vientiane on a Monday was that I did want to do the run again as they always run on a Monday night.

After we found out the details, on the blackboard in the good old Scandinavian bakery, we set out to go ……… shopping. Michael needed cloth. Man, he is as bad as my better half. Stopping at every stall, checking sizes and bargaining. Peter and Allan just tagged along and suddenly Allan needed some new shoes for the Hash run. I warned him about new shoes and the HHH. But he wanted
HHHHHHHHH

In the circle
them.

Once all the shopping was out of the way we took a tuk tuk to the starting point and were greeted like old friends. This was my 3rd run with them and Michaels second. The other two were virgin runners.

After a Hash circle instruction off we went; through the backstreets of Vientiane. And not only the backstreets but markets as well as main streets. One had to keep up with the main group, otherwise finding the way back was mission impossible. So for a good 50 minutes I was pounding the streets of Vientiane, asking myself the same old question when I do a run - why am I doing this?

After the run we had the traditional Hash circle where the beer was flowing freely. All guests, virgin runners, return runners and whoever they felt like had to down down down the beer. Great stuff…….. And Allan, who had the new shoes which he pointed out, had to christening it - with a beer filled, just worn shoe…… What a sight.

After the circle we had dinner in a restaurant across the road. And it was as usual very interesting to talk to
HHHHHHHHH

That's what you get when leaving the Vientiane HHH
the people who were mainly Ex-pats.

After a really good night with the Vientiane HHH we went down to the Mekong river for a couple of drinks and then straight to bed.

The next day we planned to leave for Vang Vieng, but we still had to wait for our visas for Vietnam. So we had the whole day to kill and we spent it doing the sightseeing thing. Up and down the streets, going from one temple to the other, visiting one museum after the other. OK, that might sound boring, but I love Vientiane and I had a great time taking in the atmosphere of this great city.

At 5pm we finally got our passports with the visas back and went to our transport, a minibus. We had hired the bus as it was nearly as cheap as getting 4 individual tickets in a normal bus. That is at least one advantage to travel in a bigger group.

The trip was pretty much as all trips and after 4 hours we arrived in Vang Vieng. Great to be back; absolute relaxing and as I had it in memory. The TV show ‘Friends” blasting out
HHHHHHHHH

Not a good idea to bring new shoes to the Hash
of restaurants, the smell of all sorts of non legal substances and foods that are definitely not legal. And no- I didn’t take any drugs at all.

After a really good meal and watching Babel and football we hit the beds.

This morning we all felt good and relaxed and we did what you do in Vang Vieng - tubing. You rent yourself an inner tube; get a bus about 10 km up the road and float down the river. The fun part is that on the upper section you have all the bars on the river banks with swings and flying foxes. The whole atmosphere is like a big party. Music is blasting out of the bars, people are having a good time and if you dare you swing away with everybody watching and hopping that you screw up and land face first in the water. Which plenty of people did and the crowd had a great time.

So here I am after 6 hours in the water. Saw, a bit burned and NOT one drop of beer as yet. I think I am getting old, and watching the kids on the river having a great
VientianeVientianeVientiane

Just walking the streets
time it makes me realize just how old I am. But then I was backpacking when they weren’t even born……

So all is fine, just I miss my girl. It would be so much fun to have her here and share the times with me. But soon I will catch up with her, so ………

Anyway, we are not sure what we do tomorrow; if we stay here for one more day or move on. We will discuss it over dinner. So stay tuned……..


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

VientianeVientiane
Vientiane

and walking.....
VientianeVientiane
Vientiane

Lokal fast food...
VientianeVientiane
Vientiane

Asia's answer to Paris
Vang ViengVang Vieng
Vang Vieng

Dinner VV style
Vang ViengVang Vieng
Vang Vieng

Part of the local menu - no we didn't eat that......
Vang ViengVang Vieng
Vang Vieng

Tubing - man am I white.....
Vang ViengVang Vieng
Vang Vieng

Relaxing at one of the bars
Vang ViengVang Vieng
Vang Vieng

Just floating away...
Vang ViengVang Vieng
Vang Vieng

Swinging away...


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 60; dbt: 0.0409s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb