Elephant Trekking


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
August 27th 2006
Published: August 27th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Yum ... CakesYum ... CakesYum ... Cakes

Traditional Laos?
Today we headed into the jungle for some Elephant Trekking. We were collected from our hostel at 8:30 and driven for about an hour in a sawngthaew along a road where a 4x4 would have been more practical, We even had to get out and walk up the hills!! We just didn't look at the drop by the side of the 'road'. We were in the truck with 3 Canadians who had been on the slow boat with us and a Scottish Vet who were all off walking in the Jungle, far to energetic for us!

The elephant camp has been set up to help put tourist money into the local villages there is a small resort and resturant which employes local people and the attached elephant camp is run to provide homes for elephants who are unemployed as logging is in decline. There is a vet who helps the elephants and they provide a regualr wage for the mahouts.

There were 5 elephants all ready to go out today but we were the only people there at the time, we were both on the same elephant, a girl who was only 30 years old, a bit younger than
Yum... Ice creamYum... Ice creamYum... Ice cream

our poor waistlines
one of the others who is 60 years old! We rode through the jungle for about 45 minutes with the elephant taking her own route avoiding the big puddles and stopping occasionally to devour an entire bush, she was very gracefull and gentle, she even used her trunk to snap branches off the trees that were in our way. On the way back Becca got to play at mahout and got to sit in the driving seat which is actually on the elephants head! It's like riding a horse except no stirrups you just tuck your knees behind the elephants ears, luckily the mahout was still telling ele where to go, although we are sure she picked the route that went through the most tasty bushes!

After the elephants we headed down river in a small boat to a huge waterfall which has loads of layers. After a spot of lunch we had a dip in one of the pools, the water was freezing and it was tough swimming against the flow but funny trying anyway.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Pete with ElePete with Ele
Pete with Ele

Do you think he's scared of her?
The boat to the waterfallThe boat to the waterfall
The boat to the waterfall

Any sturdier than our kayak?


27th August 2006

Ice cream
Colgate ice cream?

Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0227s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb