Cycling


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
August 28th 2006
Published: September 5th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Today we came over all European (must be the strong French influence in Laos) so we hired our selves a bicycle each and set of on a little tour. First stop was the royal palace which was used by Lao royalty up until about 1975 when the communists sent them to live in a cave, it was interesting to see some recent history. We them set of to explore further afield. We had got to the other side of the town when Pete's bike developed a funny clunk.... we stopped to examine and found he had a spring stuck in his back tyre which quickly cause a huge puncture. It couldn't have happened at a more inopportune moment as we were about as far away from the bike hire shop as we could possibly be. We set of walking when a Tuk-Tuk driver took pity on Pete (or saw an easy fare!!) and gave him and the bike a lift back leaving Becca to peddle behind. Soon enough we were back at the bike shop and Pete had a new bike a cool blue one (we gave the bike man a good giggle!).

The afternoon was spent peddling out of
speedyspeedyspeedy

Do the shades help him go faster?
town in the other direction, the map called the road big dirt road so we should have guessed what was to come. Only 5 minutes out of town the road turned to a very bumpy dirt track which is fun on an old fashioned bike (no moutain bikes for us). We were again at the furthest away point and another drama..... the heavens opened so on went the rain coats again, and we made our way back. We were soaking wet, Pete's shorts could be wrung out they were so wet! What we needed was a nice mug of tea to warm up so after drying of back at our room we headed out for a nice drink and cake in a little bakery.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

Pink for beccaPink for becca
Pink for becca

it's not all about speed ... looks matter too!


Tot: 0.212s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0359s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb