we ♡ luang prabang


Advertisement
Laos' flag
Asia » Laos » West » Luang Prabang
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 3rd 2013
Edit Blog Post

As the title says we ♡ luang prabang, what a place! So glad we came here.

Had an amazing couple of days and met some great people, most have been boat buddies where we bonded over cowboy-gate.

We hired a motorbike and rode up to the kuang si waterfalls which was 30k outside of town. Stopped in some local villages along the way and gave out some football shirts. What really struck us both is how little they have, in fact they have nothing and live hand to mouth every day surviving on food they grow. Luxuries like football shirts could never be bought by them so to be able to give some away was such an honour and i will never forget that moment and the happiness we gave them. The first ones went to a father walking down the road with his 2 sons, imagine what he thought when 2 westerners pulled up on a bike n got off to give them shirts. They didnt know what to say. The next lot was 2 young boys walking down the road, 1 didnt even have shoes......when we stopped they asked us for "bon bons" which is sweets, the look on their faces when they got a man u and brasil shirt........priceless!! Again diane n collette, forever in ur debt....thank u xx.

Onto the waterfalls for a mooch n a swim, beautiful place. Local loatian family shared their banana chips with us. Also at the waterfall is a bear rescue place which so far has saved 20 bears from cruelty, mostly bile farming. So cruel!! Now they have a safe natural habitat to live in. All carried out by volunteers. Check out their website free the bears, laos.

Seen some really cool temples including one on top of a huge hill, killer steps in 35 degree heat but well worth it for the view.

The monks really love their animals here and take on any waifs n strays, todays offering was a 4 wk old pup, sorry dad, i broke my promise about not touching dogs in case they are rabid. This little dude was too cute to resist...........

Found an ace bar in the town with our kind of music n a chilled vibe, whittled away a couple of hours in there, has a terrace overlooking the mekong with beds to kick back n relax on....after that headed to a laos bbq which u cook yourself at ur table.

Tomorrow we are getting up at 5am to go and watch the monks receive alms. Then fly to cambodia the day after.

Peace out y'all xx


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



3rd August 2013

A touching tale...
...and football shirts are much better for their teeth than 'bonbons'!
3rd August 2013

Fantastic
This sounds like a trip of a life time.

Tot: 0.04s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb